• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller's obligation to return money if item not picked up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GabrieleB

State=Pennsylvania

I sold a piano to someone "A," four months ago. He gave me $300 cash and I gave him a receipt for it. He never picked it up. I called him once and he indicated it would be picked up the following week. I never heard from him. I tried to contact him again, got a forwarding number and left a message. Still no response. I finally gave the piano away last week through an ad in the newspaper. The original buyer "A" probably saw the ad (the piano is a distinctive one, antique square grand), because two days after the recipient "B" picked up the piano, there was a note left on my door from "A." It said "Sorry for delay, please call me." I ignored it and then got a call from "A's" daughter. Am I obligated to return this guy's money? Didn't he forfeit ownership by not picking it up? How long was I supposed to keep the piano? I didn't sell it a second time; it was either give it away or put it out in the trash. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">