• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling a car "AS IS"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pmilo

I live in RI and sold a car to someone in NY. In the bill of sale I sold it "AS IS". They did not have anyone look at the car nor take it for a test drive. On her way home to NY, the car died and now she wants her money back. She stated that I sent her an email which I mention "that the car would make it to NY" Does this have any grounds for her to legally get the money back. Because I sold it "AS IS" she has no case, right?? I also mentioned to her all known defects. At the time I did not know of any problems with the engine. Also I do not have a bill of sale but do have a paper stated that she gave me the money for the car...can this take the place of a bill of sale?? Please let me know if she has a case on me??
Thanks
Peter

JETX

Sorry, but if you told her (in the email) "that the car would make it to NY", you have pretty much hung yourself out... even with your 'as is' claim.
This is especially true since it appears you have no written acceptance by her of the 'as is' condition. She can easily challenge your verbal 'claim' of an as is sale with the WRITTEN guarantee of the car making it to NY.

This is just my opinion based solely on the contents of your post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">