• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling a vehicle without a title?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'm located in Georgia.

My sister wants to sell her old minivan. But almost two years ago, she pawned the title at a used car lot. She paid the title pawn in full but (stupidly) didn't go immediately to reclaim the title, thinking they'd just send it to her! Since then, they have gone out of business....

So she's got a vehicle with no title that she wants to sell. Further complicating the situation, when she originally paid off the van to the bank, she never got a new title solely in her name. She just kept the one that the finance company sent to her which showed them as the lien holder. After speaking with a few folks at our county tag office, it will be virtually impossible to get a replacement title issued.

So, my question is- can we sell it without a title and just create a Bill of Sale or some other way to document the transaction? It's a piece of junk '97 Caravan with 160,000 miles on it, so we're talking about a sale price of less than $1000...what are the options?

JETX

can we sell it without a title and just create a Bill of Sale or some other way to document the transaction?
Simple answer... NO.
You can't sell something that isn't yours/hers.

At this point, the vehicle still has a lien and the 'negotiable' title is (or should still be) in the possession of the lienholder (lender).

what are the options?
Based solely on the information in your post ("when she originally paid off the van to the bank, she never got a new title solely in her name"), she needs to contact the lender and ask them to sign the release of lien and send her the 'negotiable' title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">