• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Serial numbers that don't match

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sergeiq

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I recently bought a used camera from a private seller on eBay and am re-listing it on eBay. Although it's a great camera (mint condition), I changed my mind and want a different one. It is not a USA model, covered by warranty, it it grey market. Obviously, it was not listed in the description and I am not concerned about that. What I am concerned about it that the serial number on the box does not match the serial number on the camera. I didn't realize this until a potential bidder asked that I post a picture of the info on the side of the box to see if it is a USA model. This is when I discovered that the numbers don't even match. The seller was selling two cameras at the same time, so I'm guessing that he put them in the wrong boxes. He did not answer my questions after the fact and I'm still waiting to hear back. He will not refund my money, since it is past the time frame. I am now very uncomfortable about selling it. I looked up the serial number on the camera and it is not reported as being stolen.

My question is, does the winning buyer have a legal right to request a refund if they discover that the serial numbers don't match? I'm thinking that this might fall under "fraudulence" or "item not as described". I researched, for I wanted to see if I could get my money back and just pull my listing off eBay. It is past the 30 day money back guarantee with PayPal and eBay, so the answer for me, is no. Now, I want to protect myself. I have 100% feedback and don't want a disgruntled buyer who demands his/her money back due to the mismatched serial numbers.

So, can someone ask for their money back due the item not being in the original box with the serial numbers not matching? Nowhere in the description says that it's in the original box. I have just listed what they are getting in the package.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I recently bought a used camera from a private seller on eBay and am re-listing it on eBay. Although it's a great camera (mint condition), I changed my mind and want a different one. It is not a USA model, covered by warranty, it it grey market. Obviously, it was not listed in the description and I am not concerned about that. What I am concerned about it that the serial number on the box does not match the serial number on the camera. I didn't realize this until a potential bidder asked that I post a picture of the info on the side of the box to see if it is a USA model. This is when I discovered that the numbers don't even match. The seller was selling two cameras at the same time, so I'm guessing that he put them in the wrong boxes. He did not answer my questions after the fact and I'm still waiting to hear back. He will not refund my money, since it is past the time frame. I am now very uncomfortable about selling it. I looked up the serial number on the camera and it is not reported as being stolen.

My question is, does the winning buyer have a legal right to request a refund if they discover that the serial numbers don't match? I'm thinking that this might fall under "fraudulence" or "item not as described". I researched, for I wanted to see if I could get my money back and just pull my listing off eBay. It is past the 30 day money back guarantee with PayPal and eBay, so the answer for me, is no. Now, I want to protect myself. I have 100% feedback and don't want a disgruntled buyer who demands his/her money back due to the mismatched serial numbers.

So, can someone ask for their money back due the item not being in the original box with the serial numbers matching? Nowhere in the description says that it's in the original box. I have just listed what they are getting in the package.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
No, you were sold the camera, the box is just shipping material.

Zigner

Thank you. So, I really don't have anything to worry about then? I just hate to be deceiving.
I would suggest that you not use the box when you advertise or ship the camera. If you must, then I suggest that you obliterate the s/n from the box before doing either.

Also, make it clear that the camera is not in the original box.

sergeiq

I would suggest that you not use the box when you advertise or ship the camera. If you must, then I suggest that you obliterate the s/n from the box before doing either.

Also, make it clear that the camera is not in the original box.
Thanks so much for your response. It is already listed with the box in the picture. Obliterating the serial number will raise red flags even more and draw their attention to it, no? I didn't realize that it was a different serial number until I decided to sell it. I wonder if I am being too paranoid about this.

Zigner

Thanks so much for your response. It is already listed with the box in the picture. Obliterating the serial number will raise red flags even more and draw their attention to it, no? I didn't realize that it was a different serial number until I decided to sell it. I wonder if I am being too paranoid about this.
Is the serial number visible & legible in the picture?

I would make a point that it is NOT the original box - maybe even amend the description. I recently sold a piece of electronics equipment. It was the Mk I version and I was selling it because I had upgraded to the Mk II version. Unfortunately, I didn't have the box from the Mk I, so I used the Mk II box. I made sure that I was clear that it was NOT the original box in my ad.

sergeiq

Is the serial number visible & legible in the picture?

I would make a point that it is NOT the original box - maybe even amend the description. I recently sold a piece of electronics equipment. It was the Mk I version and I was selling it because I had upgraded to the Mk II version. Unfortunately, I didn't have the box from the Mk I, so I used the Mk II box. I made sure that I was clear that it was NOT the original box in my ad.
No, the serial number is not visible in the picture. I like the idea of adding that it is not the original box. If questioned, I will tell them that the original seller made the mix up and I can not supply the original box. That will most likely bring my selling price way down but at least it will keep me honest. I have a reserve. If not met, then I'll just keep the darn thing!

Can you help me with proper wording for the decription? I would appreciate that so much!!

Thanks.

Zigner

No, the serial number is not visible in the picture. I like the idea of adding that it is not the original box. If questioned, I will tell them that the original seller made the mix up and I can not supply the original box. That will most likely bring my selling price way down but at least it will keep me honest. I have a reserve. If not met, then I'll just keep the darn thing!

Can you help me with proper wording for the decription? I would appreciate that so much!!

Thanks.
The box isn't going to be what brings the price down. The questionable heritage of the camera will.

Zigner

Thanks.
I have no idea about this camera, nor do any other members of this forum. You would be wise to be truthful in the description, including the fact that it is not a US model and does not come with any sort of warranty, factory or otherwise. You would also be wise in removing the picture of the box.

sergeiq

The box isn't going to be what brings the price down. The questionable heritage of the camera will.
Exactly! I don't know what to do. If I change the description, people will definitely not want to bid. They'll surely know that it's grey market as well. If I let it slide, maybe the buyer won't even notice. Legally, they can not demand a refund, correct? I might end up with bad feedback instead. Ughh.

I didn't see your post above.....I agree. I want to be honest.

Last edited:

BL

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/build-your-business-online/boost-profits/editing-tips-tools/

You might want to call ebay about your option to edit the sale . If you can edit out the box and edit the camera to the description ,and leave out the serial #, if they allow.

Last edited:

Zigner

Exactly! I don't know what to do. If I change the description, people will definitely not want to bid. They'll surely know that it's grey market as well. If I let it slide, maybe the buyer won't even notice. Legally, they can not demand a refund, correct? I might end up with bad feedback instead. Ughh.

I didn't see your post above.....I agree. I want to be honest.
In one breath, you imply that you hope you can dump this on the next unsuspecting buyer (like it was dumped on you), yet in the next, you say that you wish to be honest. :confused:

sergeiq

In one breath, you imply that you hope you can dump this on the next unsuspecting buyer (like it was dumped on you), yet in the next, you say that you wish to be honest. :confused:
Agreed. I will be honest and will do the right thing. Thank you!

sergeiq

This is what I plan on adding to the description. I hope that it sounds okay...

I am selling because I decided to upgrade. This is not a US model and does not come with warranty or factory papers. I bought it from an eBay seller who was selling two cameras at the same time and put it in the wrong box. Box is not the original. I assure you that it was an honest mistake by the seller. I feel obligated to come forth and be honest. Regardless of the origin of this camera, it is of exceptional quality and you will absolutely love it! I believe that I am asking a fair price for the bundle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">