• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Serious Auto Title Issue!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peytonsmama

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

I purchased a brand new vehicle 2 years ago through a large dealership. I am now looking to trade it in and come to find out I have a Branded Title. I am now finding out someone owned the vehicle before me. The CARFAX says in Feb 2013 someone purchased the vehicle with 27 miles on it and when I purchased in May 2013 the vehicle had 10 miles on it. When trying to trade it in I am being told I can get 5K for it. I should be able to get at LEAST 12k. I called the dealership and they said it's a clerical error with the Secretary of State. Today I called the Secretary of State and they tell me I should get a lawyer for misrepresentation and also they told me that same dealership issued the first title in February. All of my documents from my purchase does say "NEW." Now I am not sure if this situation is worth getting a lawyer? I am still looking to trade in my car, but due to that CARFAX I should not have to suffer the consequences of getting less than half of the trade in value.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

I purchased a brand new vehicle 2 years ago through a large dealership. I am now looking to trade it in and come to find out I have a Branded Title. I am now finding out someone owned the vehicle before me. The CARFAX says in Feb 2013 someone purchased the vehicle with 27 miles on it and when I purchased in May 2013 the vehicle had 10 miles on it. When trying to trade it in I am being told I can get 5K for it. I should be able to get at LEAST 12k. I called the dealership and they said it's a clerical error with the Secretary of State. Today I called the Secretary of State and they tell me I should get a lawyer for misrepresentation and also they told me that same dealership issued the first title in February. All of my documents from my purchase does say "NEW." Now I am not sure if this situation is worth getting a lawyer? I am still looking to trade in my car, but due to that CARFAX I should not have to suffer the consequences of getting less than half of the trade in value.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I would also suggest that you consult with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">