• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Service Termination Notice when I am current on payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jholovacs

NY State
My water company (Monroe County Water Authority) has wanted to change my meter out for a while. They keep sending me notices to schedule a changeout. I have ignored them. The water meter I have now is working fine, and I don't want them to fix what ain't broken.

Today I received a Service Termination Notice, telling me my water was going to be shut off next week for "Failure to Comply with other Authority Rules & Regulations".

I am current on my payments.

To me, this is a high-handed "punishment" for not responding to their requests to change my water meter. I would like to stop them from taking any action like this, preferably rebuke them in a way to make them think twice about doing this to someone else, and make them shut up about this matter until something actually needs to be fixed.

What are my options?

Antigone*

NY State
My water company (Monroe County Water Authority) has wanted to change my meter out for a while. They keep sending me notices to schedule a changeout. I have ignored them. The water meter I have now is working fine, and I don't want them to fix what ain't broken.

Today I received a Service Termination Notice, telling me my water was going to be shut off next week for "Failure to Comply with other Authority Rules & Regulations".

To me, this is a high-handed "punishment" for not responding to their requests to change my water meter. I would like to stop them from taking any action like this, preferably rebuke them in a way to make them think twice about doing this to someone else, and make them shut up about this matter until something actually needs to be fixed.

What are my options?
Comply or get some buckets.:D

tranquility

I agree with the others, this is a fight you won't win. Out here, many tried the same fight when the electric company put in "smart" meters. Now, some people didn't like the fact their usage information was suddenly on the web and the electric company could throttle a person's usage at the touch of a button. Those people lost.

OHRoadwarrior

The fact is statistically, the older meters get, the more error is introduced, generally in favor of the customer. Utilities have found that changing the meters can pay for itself in about 12 years. They have every right to shut you off until you comply.

sandyclaus

NY State

What are my options?
Kinda makes you wonder why you are so hesitant in letting them perform regular maintenance by switching out that meter. Sounds to me like it IS broken, and likely in your favor - which is why you wouldn't want them to swap it out.

If you want to continue receiving water service, you're going to have to allow them to swap out the meter.

swalsh411

You are 100% unequivocally in the wrong here. You agreed to allow them to service the meter as they see fit as a condition of getting service from them.

BL

I'm in Monroe County .

They just want to upgrade and put in new .

You are not the only property they are doing this too and it's been going on for years.

Contact them to comply and stop the termination.

It's THEIR property ....It's not punishment at all.

You are refusing access going against the regulations and rules.

jholovacs

Who is taking odds that OP has been reporting false meter readings?:D
The odds are 0%, and your implication/ accusation of duplicity on my part is certainly not appreciated nor warranted.

The fact is, the meter works, it has been working, they have been charging me, I have been paying, and now they want to put a transmitter in my house, which I feel is highly invasive. When I called them up they told me it was because they were switching from cubic feet to gallons, which seems a completely BS reason to change a meter, since both measure volume.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Legally, it does not matter one whit if you find it a BS reason or not.

It is THEIR meter. The opt of whether to change it or not belongs to them, 100%.

You comply, or you take the consequences. You do not have a legal leg to stand on here.

jholovacs

I'm in Monroe County .

They just want to upgrade and put in new .

You are not the only property they are doing this too and it's been going on for years.

Contact them to comply and stop the termination.

It's THEIR property ....It's not punishment at all.

You are refusing access going against the regulations and rules.
While it's their property, I believe I am lawfully leasing it and am current on my payments, and therefore I should have an expectation not to be bothered as long as it is being used in a lawful manner. A landlord is not authorized to enter a tenent's quarters without their permission, even though he/ she owns the property. A bank cannot take your car and do something to it just because they hold the lien on it while you are making payments. I would think this falls under the same category.

jholovacs

Legally, it does not matter one whit if you find it a BS reason or not.

It is THEIR meter. The opt of whether to change it or not belongs to them, 100%.

You comply, or you take the consequences. You do not have a legal leg to stand on here.
Can my mortgage holder come into my home and take out my kitchen sink if I am current on my payments?

mmmagique

While it's their property, I believe I am lawfully leasing it and am current on my payments, and therefore I should have an expectation not to be bothered as long as it is being used in a lawful manner.
What you "believe" is legally incorrect.

A landlord is not authorized to enter a tenent's quarters without their permission, even though he/ she owns the property.
Really? You don't know landlord/tenant law either, huh?

A bank cannot take your car and do something to it just because they hold the lien on it while you are making payments. I would think this falls under the same category.
What you think and what you believe are legally incorrect assumptions.
You have been told by many here that you do not have a legal leg to stand on. Either comply, or find another source of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">