• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

service warranties

• Thread starter Nancy Kolocotro
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nancy Kolocotro

What is the name of your state? DC. Company has ppb in Washington state. I don't know where's it's incorporated.

I purchased a notebook computer from compaq in October 2001. In September 2002, it broke. There was a one-year service warranty (my copy of it is somewhere in a box in my mother's garage in missouri), so i sent it in to compaq for repair. I've asked them to send me a copy of the warranty, but they haven't. In early October, they said it was fixed and on its way back to me. The shipping company lost it.

Since early October, I've been wrangling with them, but to no avail. No one ever has any information, no one will ever call me back. This afternoon, I spoke with someone (who wouldn't even give me her name) who said that i might need to initiate an action against the shipping company. I find it beyond belief that compaq wouldn't insure their product before shipping it, and I was told earlier in the process that compaq was indeed filing a claim against the shipping company. I can't get any information out of anyone. I've got law school exams (i know- i should be able to come up with an answer to this, but i just don't have time) coming up next week, and i would prefer to use a computer to take them. I've told them that I'm planning on talking to a lawyer, but I don't have the money to hire one. I've got 5 exams and 2 papers due in the next two weeks. I absolutely need that computer.

What can I do? Do service warranties generally guarantee the safe return of the repaired item? Could I have a claim against compaq, the shipping company, or both? If it comes to that, and I hope it doesn't, what could I potentially recover? A broken laptop? A replacement laptop? Damages for the academic harm they've caused me (it's tough to outline without a computer)?

I know this reads like a bad fact pattern and i should be able to sort it out myself, but i need to save my acuity for next week's exams which i will surely, and slowly, be handwriting.

This situation is causing me far more stress than exams, and I can't take much more of it. Thanks.

A

aahlee

did you send it UPS to compaq and have a tracking # to prove it was sent and signed for?

did you record the dates and persons you talked to, did compaq give you an order # or someother repair order # or authorization #.

Who was the shipping company?

why hasnt you mom found the warrentee? you should keep ALL of you instruction manuals recipets warentees with you at all times, heck all of mine for the last 10 years takes up a whole $2.95 legal folder with the strap on it...

This is also a good thing t remember always ship it UPS and insure things, do NOT ship by the US post office, there is no record kept unless you pay extra for it, and their insurance cost abot 5-10 times what UPS charges.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">