• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Services Not Rendered - Pittsburgh, PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tatimatla

Hi,

I entered in contract with an executive apartment chain for 3 months starting 1/4/2013. They sent me an e-mail that read as follows:
"Your check in time is anytime after 3:30p.m. on January 4, 2014. Your apartment key will be in lock box marked B attached to the wall behind the leasing office in hallway leading to parking garage. Please see other attachment with lock box details. Any additional key will be inside for you. "

Now, when I arrive there at 4PM, I was able to open the lockbox but there were no keys! There was no one to help me in the building. I called their helpline, and didn't hear back until 5:35PM. They asked me to check into a hotel. I had made a long journey from Los Angeles to Pittsburgh, and all I wanted was to get into the apartment and live a normal life again.

Can I sue the company for inconvenience?

sandyclaus

Hi,

I entered in contract with an executive apartment chain for 3 months starting 1/4/2013. They sent me an e-mail that read as follows:
"Your check in time is anytime after 3:30p.m. on January 4, 2014. Your apartment key will be in lock box marked B attached to the wall behind the leasing office in hallway leading to parking garage. Please see other attachment with lock box details. Any additional key will be inside for you. "

Now, when I arrive there at 4PM, I was able to open the lockbox but there were no keys! There was no one to help me in the building. I called their helpline, and didn't hear back until 5:35PM. They asked me to check into a hotel. I had made a long journey from Los Angeles to Pittsburgh, and all I wanted was to get into the apartment and live a normal life again.

Can I sue the company for inconvenience?
Maybe and maybe not.

Depending on how the lockbox access works, they could have left the keys as promised, and someone else could have stolen them. Or, they could have forgotten to leave them or didn't leave them because you failed to make payment as required to fulfill the contract. See how there might be a difference in their liability?

I would suggest for you to contact the office to find out what happened, and take it from there. At the very least, they may credit you against your rent for the days you paid and were unable to access the apartment, or reimburse you for the hotel costs - unless they are paying for the hotel?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">