• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shady Magazine Subscription Contract-Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sstory0626

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Iowa

Hi, all.
I was contacted at my place of business a few months ago by "NRS Circulation" They told me that I could get 2 years of 5 magazines for $25.90/year. I said OK, and was visited, again at my place of business, by a very smooth-talking salesman that told me where to sign and what the contract said (or at least what he WANTED me to think the contract said :mad: ). I was busy and just signed. A month or so went by and I started to receive the magazines (and a couple of extras, but that's beside the point). THEN, I noticed a charge taken from my checking account. I thought it was a mistake and stupidly waited for it to correct itself, but when I got another charge the following month, I contacted my bank and disputed the charges. I called the phone number that the bank listed as NRS' contact # but it wasn't for the right company. The bank returned my money and I got a bunch of envelopes from NRS to send my monthly payment. Didn't send anything and about 2 weeks later they start calling me. I asked them several questions, including if I could cance,l and they were absolutely unwilling to do so and rather belligerent about it. Apparently, I'm on the hook for $25.90 PER MONTH (!) for 2 years!! They said I signed a contract that gives them the right to do everything they have done thus far, and that's about the only thing I believe from them. I don't have the contract, so they will be sending me a new one. Is there anything I can do? NRS is based in New York. Please help!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

sstory0626 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Iowa

Hi, all.
I was contacted at my place of business a few months ago by "NRS Circulation" They told me that I could get 2 years of 5 magazines for $25.90/year. I said OK, and was visited, again at my place of business, by a very smooth-talking salesman that told me where to sign and what the contract said (or at least what he WANTED me to think the contract said :mad: ). I was busy and just signed. A month or so went by and I started to receive the magazines (and a couple of extras, but that's beside the point). THEN, I noticed a charge taken from my checking account. I thought it was a mistake and stupidly waited for it to correct itself, but when I got another charge the following month, I contacted my bank and disputed the charges. I called the phone number that the bank listed as NRS' contact # but it wasn't for the right company. The bank returned my money and I got a bunch of envelopes from NRS to send my monthly payment. Didn't send anything and about 2 weeks later they start calling me. I asked them several questions, including if I could cance,l and they were absolutely unwilling to do so and rather belligerent about it. They said I signed a contract that gives them the right to do everything they have done thus far, and that's about the only thing I believe from them. I don't have the contract, so they will be sending me a new one. Is there anything I can do? NRS is based in New York. Please help!
**A: file complaints with BBB, State Consumer Protection office and FTC.

wdmonson

Shady Magazine Subscription

I had the same exact thing happen to me. I'm from Iowa too. The only difference is that I did not sign up to have the money taken out of my account. But they told me I HAD to pay the monthly amount or I'd be turned over to a collections agency.

The other thing that makes me mad about them is that their bill is due before the 10th of each month. I receive it on the 8th or 9th of the month, send in payment and 2 days later get another bill for $1 more. Two days later another bill for $1 more. What a scam!!! Did you find anything out on what you can do??

wdmonson

Shady Magazine Subscription

I had the exact same thing happen to me. The only difference is that I did not sign up to have the subscription taken out of my checking account automatically. I have to send in a check. They told me the same thing about getting out of the subscription. Also, they said if I didn't pay for it they would turn me over to the collections agency. So, I'm paying for it!!!

What really makes me mad though is that the bill is due on the 10th of each month. I get it on the 8th or 9th go figure and if I don't pay it by the 10th, they add a $1 charge. Then I pay it and I get a bill a day or two later for $1 more. Then a couple days later another bill for $1 more. What a waste of money!!!

If you find out what we can do let me know. I was mad the way they "conned" me into this. Plus not only do I get the magazines at home, but I get them here at work. This is a SCAM!@!

Buk1000

Something like that happened to my husband a few years ago though neither of us had made any agreement to renew, pay a certain way, or anything. It was a golf magazine he got, and when it ran out he chose not to renew it. So they tried to say they were going to turn it over to collections if he didn't renew, like he was somehow committed for life just because he once subscribed.

Happy Ending: I don't recall how I found out--maybe it was on this forum--but some attorney contacted me back and told me what Fair Debt Collection law they were violating. I ended up sending a certified return receipt letter to the co that was threatenting collection, cc to the magazine itself, quoting the law the lawyer told me to. Sorry I do not have it handy to tell you what it said. They never bugged us again.

For future reference, never sign anything you haven't read and don't understand whether you have time or not. Scammers LOVE people who will cave in to that kind of pressure. But I'm sure you've been told that a thousand times by now, (sorry). Hope you get it straightened out. I now feel fortunate that in our instance, no money was taken.

janet-in-ID

Contact County Attorney

We had the same thing happen years ago and someone suggested contacting the County Attorney. The County Attorney was well aware of the company pulling the scam and wrote them a letter saying to stop it and that we wouldn't be paying for anything. The company tried once more to get money out of us for magazines they'd already sent, but the County Attorney told us to just ignore them and contact him if we had any trouble. Didn't hear from them again... so you might try that route!

janet-in-ID

County Atty - continued

We contaccted our local county attorney where we lived. Luckily for us, they were familiar with the company.

NYSJ63

Inside Information On Nrs Circulation

If anyone is having a problem with NRS Circulation or you know of anyone that is having a problem with them I may be able to help. I worked for them as a collections rep and know all about the place and their practices. The sales reps have a wall full of rebuttals in front of them covering almost any excuse a perspective victim-I mean CUSTOMER could have to not take the magazine order. The sales office will hound customers to "renew early" and even to take on an additional magazine order. I've called people during collections there that actually had 3 separate freaking accounts with NRS,!! Some poor schmoes were paying 75.00 and more for these stupid magazines!! The collection tactics were cut throat since there was an emphasis on commission for what a collector would bring in daily on his set of delinquent accounts. All the collection rep's names were up on a white dry erase board and the dollar amount for each day was posted on it . This was also incentive for a collector to be aggressive since low collection amounts were grounds for firing as well. The owner loved to set the collectors against each other by allowing them to steal each other's commissions. Here's an example. Collection rep Mr Bill would be responsible for calling up victims-I mean customers that were 2 months behind on their magazine payments. He'd get a promise that they would mail in the payment by the 10th of the month. The 10th rolls around and the customer calls up the collection office number(1-800-378-3210) to tell Mr Bill he is mailing the payment tonight. But Mr Dunn happens t o answer the phone or takes the call somehow so he greedily tells the customer to cross Mr Bill's name off the payment envelope and put his name-Mr Dunn in this case on it,thus stealing the commission from Mr Bill. These hijinks were actually encouraged as it supposedly made the collection reps "be that much more aggressive and work harder!)
Now if a company would encourage their own employees to steal from each other like that what does it tell you about their policies and general ethics regarding the customers
You can email me at [email protected] if you need information on this so called business.

sstory0626

I actually had the situation remedied. I wrote to the BBB and the FTC, both online. A couple of weeks later I received notification that the debt was resolved. Now, this was a while back so I don't remember any specifics, but they do respond to the contacting of authorities.

Thanks for your help too, HomeGuru!

essense

NRS Circulation

It is sad to say that NRS Circulation is still up to there old trips. This company called me about 2 months ago and told me that I had won a 90 day subscription with 3 magazines. Well to make a long story short when the woman told me the magazines, I told her that I already have a paid subscription to two of the magazines, and that I do not want the subscriptions. About 1 month ago I started receiving the 3 additional magazines that I did not order. Today when I checked the mail, I received a invoice from NRS circulation, on it there was no telephone number just two charges one for $15.00 and the other for $16.00 NRS tacking on a $1.00 fee. I found the 1-800 number on this website and decided to call. The lady (Jackie no last name stated they only use first names in the office) told me she was just an outside collection agency for NRS. but stated that she would take care of the matter for me. I then looked up NRS on the web to find a number to the address they have listed in Syracuse. I called it and to my surprise Jackie from the collection agency (supposedly) answered the phone NRS can I help you. Now if this company isn't shady I do not know what is... :confused: :mad:

cateto

They really are something serious

They did the same to me and thanks to your advise now I'm contacting the attorney office, because I wont be willing to pay for something I shouldn"t .Thanks God they used a gift card and they dont acces to my checking accounts. What a scam.

mcdlp70

NRS Circulations

They called me at my work and offered a "free magazine". Stupidly, I agreed and gave them th cc number off a prepaid card I received child support on. Next thing I know, I'm receiving a half dozen magazines I DID NOT ORDER. *** stuff I have absolutely no interest in. I tried to cancel my subscription(s) and they flat out refused to cancel until I paid in full. That was the last time I spoke to them. Now, I get messages i=on my machine every day and the lady that keeps calling says I owe almost $800.00. They also started doubling my magazines, sending me one at my home and one to my work. Something needs to be done about this company and their tactics. It sounds like they might be breaking the law. Maybe everyone who's been screwed by them should get together and file a class-action law suit. I personally don't want any money, just to clear the bill and remove it from my credit rating. And of course to shut these SOBs down so no one else has to go through this.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
They called me at my work and offered a "free magazine". Stupidly, I agreed and gave them th cc number off a prepaid card I received child support on. Next thing I know, I'm receiving a half dozen magazines I DID NOT ORDER. *** stuff I have absolutely no interest in. I tried to cancel my subscription(s) and they flat out refused to cancel until I paid in full. That was the last time I spoke to them. Now, I get messages i=on my machine every day and the lady that keeps calling says I owe almost $800.00. They also started doubling my magazines, sending me one at my home and one to my work. Something needs to be done about this company and their tactics. It sounds like they might be breaking the law. Maybe everyone who's been screwed by them should get together and file a class-action law suit. I personally don't want any money, just to clear the bill and remove it from my credit rating. And of course to shut these SOBs down so no one else has to go through this.
Please don't necropost-the original poster is LONG GONE.

If you have a question, please start your own thread. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This thread is 7 years old. Please don't necropost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">