• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shady Mechanics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Patryk

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Florida,

hi,
My car (2000 camaro 37K) was jerking when it accelerated so I took it to a transmission shop to get the transmission fluid changed. They told me that there was a problem with the transmission and they needed to take it apart. I told them about the jerking and they said it would get worse and even more damage would be caused if it was not fixed right away.

The repair ended up costing $1200. They charged me for
1. a new torque converter
2. a roller assembly
3. a overhaul kit

When I picked up my car I asked to see the parts they had taken out. They refused to show me any parts they said that they had thrown them away. I am sure that this was a lie, they said they had just finished with my car. I asked to see evidence that they had actually done work to my car, such as invoices for the new parts etc. They refused to give me any evidence whatsoever and told me that if I wanted evidence I should have wathched them work. They said they would not return my car if I did not pay them. When I got my car home it was having the same problems again. I took it back the next day and they said it was not the transmission but a spark plug. I told them that I felt cheated and that I would sue them.

I feel that they did not actually do any repairs to my car beause:
1. The car had the same problem before and after the repair.
2. They refused to show me any evidence that they actually did anything.

I put a stop payment on the credit card and so it is currently being handled through the credit card company.

My question is do: I have a case in small claims court?

They told me that I should have stipulated that I wanted to see the parts they took out, before the repair. They did not have to show me the parts when I asked the after the repair. I repeatedly asked to see evidence that they did the repairs on my car ( have letters that I sent them), they refuse to give me any evidence.

Questions:

1. Are mechanics required to show customers some evidence that they actually did work on the car? Is there any specific law you can point me to?
2. They also did some body damage to my car when the put it on a lift wrong. They agreed to have their body shop fix it but I don't want to take it back to there, I think they are liars and cheats. (I had the damaged appraised by another body shop) Can I sue them for the body damage?
3. What are my chances for recovering the 1200, what are the key issues in this case?

I would appreciate very much any advice you could give me.

Patryk

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">