• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shingles Warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gary in WI

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin. We built our house twelve years ago using shingles that had a 25 year warranty that states it covers the materials only. These shingles were defective and have cracked and curled up at the edges. we have had some leakage but I do not know yet if the shingles caused the leaks.
I have been told by a local lumber yard that others in town who used these shingles have had them replaced by the manufacturer at no charge to home owner after taking them to court. I was told the company settled out of court in these cases.
I have talked to the manufacturer and the best offer they have made is to give me new shingles without charge. They say they are already exceeding the warranty by doing this and refuse so far to go any further. I feel that since the shingles were defective they should also be willing to pay for a prorated labor cost for installation of the new shingles as the labor cost far exceeds the cost of materials. Especially since I have been told they have covered these costs for others in our town.
Can they be required to do more than the expressed warranty states, or have they settled the other cases just to avoid the costs of appearing in court?

HomeGuru

Gary in WI said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin. We built our house twelve years ago using shingles that had a 25 year warranty that states it covers the materials only. These shingles were defective and have cracked and curled up at the edges. we have had some leakage but I do not know yet if the shingles caused the leaks.
I have been told by a local lumber yard that others in town who used these shingles have had them replaced by the manufacturer at no charge to home owner after taking them to court. I was told the company settled out of court in these cases.
I have talked to the manufacturer and the best offer they have made is to give me new shingles without charge. They say they are already exceeding the warranty by doing this and refuse so far to go any further. I feel that since the shingles were defective they should also be willing to pay for a prorated labor cost for installation of the new shingles as the labor cost far exceeds the cost of materials. Especially since I have been told they have covered these costs for others in our town.
Can they be required to do more than the expressed warranty states, or have they settled the other cases just to avoid the costs of appearing in court?
**A: what is the brand name?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">