• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I sign Arbitration agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gmblack

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I purchased a new car Saturday, when signing the paper work they asked me to sign a binding arbitration agreement. I told them I didn't want to. They said to put "Refuse to sign" where I would have put my signature. I then continued with the purchasing process.

Today (Monday), the GM of the local dealership called me and asked me to reconsider my refusal to sign the arbitration agreement. He explained the process to me (even though I knew it for the most part). I told him I would consider it and would call him tomorrow.

Should I sign it? My gut feeling says no.

Some Random Guy

"I purchased a new car Saturday..."

So you purchased a car two days ago and they let you buy it without signing up for arbitration. So long as you have paid them, its your car. Why would you want to sign away some rights now for no particular benefit?

Now, if they were to offer you something of value in return for signing, that's another story.

shizukana

Refuse to sign an arbitration clause any time you can.

As one person described it to me, arbitration is a mickey mouse court -- sorry mickey.

An arbitrator can decide any way that pleases them, without consideration of legal precedent. And, they arbitrator does not have to provide clarification of the decision. Thus, the arbitrator could discriminate based on gender, national origin, creed, marital status, etc. and get away with it. Courts are loathe to overturn an arbitrator's decision. And without clarification, there is probably no way to prove discrimination if it did occur.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">