• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I Take This To Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mortious

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

We contracted a sitter to watch our pets over Spring Break. Prior to the meet and greet I contacted the Insurance/Bonding company that they stated they were insured through and found out that they did have a bond but no insurance.

We asked about it during the meet and greet and was told she didn't know why they stated that, but would get back to us. As we were close to spring break and all of the other pet sitters were booked, we went ahead and signed a contract hoping to hear that there was just a mistake.

The sitters policies state that any cancellation would result in a credit for future services, however when the sitter contacted us about their insurance, they stated that they had let it lapse and were offering to return our house keys and payment.

My wife responded that we wanted to move forward with it seeing as she was the only one that was able to sit for us over spring break. We were contacted by another sitter that was open, insured and bonded, so we decided it would be best to go with that sitter instead.

When we contacted the first sitter, we were told that we would get a credit for future services, I explained to them that I didn't trust them (as they said they had insurance, but in reality didn't), that my wife was worried we would have to cancel our vacation and had thought they would honor their original email and return our keys and payment.

Do I have a case here for small claims court, or is their policy "bullet proof". The amount paid was $200.00.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">