• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should my Deposit be refunded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Voncap68

I live in New York, i had 3 contractors come in for free consultations to renovate my bathroom. I had the last one return so he could speak with my husband as well. I chose him wirhout doing any research because he had done work for my daughter wuthout any issues. I gave him a 250$ deposit and signed a proposal. We had no start date as he said he was currently busy, and i was in no rush. We emailed three times, me questioning charges or asking about what i could or could not do, such as a window moved or room widened. I had a family emergency, 1 day after signing and went away for 1 week. At that time i could no longer have the work done due to impending financial issues, and asked for a refund. I was told, they dont give refunds anymore, and I noticed, my check was cashed the morning after I gave it! Nothing on the proosal states that. No work has been done or scheduled. No supplies have been decided on to be purchased. I just have a generic outline of what is to be done. I started a Small Claims suit! Am i in the wrong?

quincy

I live in New York, i had 3 contractors come in for free consultations to renovate my bathroom. I had the last one return so he could speak with my husband as well. I chose him wirhout doing any research because he had done work for my daughter wuthout any issues. I gave him a 250$ deposit and signed a proposal. We had no start date as he said he was currently busy, and i was in no rush. We emailed three times, me questioning charges or asking about what i could or could not do, such as a window moved or room widened. I had a family emergency, 1 day after signing and went away for 1 week. At that time i could no longer have the work done due to impending financial issues, and asked for a refund. I was told, they dont give refunds anymore, and I noticed, my check was cashed the morning after I gave it! Nothing on the proosal states that. No work has been done or scheduled. No supplies have been decided on to be purchased. I just have a generic outline of what is to be done. I started a Small Claims suit! Am i in the wrong?
By signing the proposal and giving the contractor a deposit, you committed yourself to having the work done by the contractor. Had you not waited over a week to cancel the contract and ask for a refund of the deposit, you could have a better case for a refund. Generally you have 3 days to cancel without penalty. As it stands now, you have a good chance of losing your small claims suit.

Good luck in court.

Voncap68

Quincy

This is my first time using this site, am I allowed to ask you a question regarding your response?

quincy

This is my first time using this site, am I allowed to ask you a question regarding your response?
You just did ask me a question regarding my response. ;)

Yes, you can ask me any question you want to. Whether I have an answer for you, however, is a question mark.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">