• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed contract, put down deposit, dealership refuses to give us car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajjsmom9

What is the name of your state? NY

Last evening my husband went to a car dealership and bought a car, so we thought. He signed a contract with all the numbers on it. Credit check was authorized. And he put $100 on our credit card as a deposit. A few minutes later the finance guy came back and said that it was a mistake and he couldn't sell us the car for that price. He said, he didn't even know if the car was still available. The contract has the VIN number on it and everything. My husband said that he signed the contract, paid the deposit and wanted the car. They had told him that the car would be in the next day. Now they are refusing to give us the car and offered to give us our $100 back. The other problem is that the $1500 rebate expired last night so now if we have to go to another dealer to get the car we will be paying $1500 more because they screwed us out of the rebate. They said that my husband came in so late that they couldn't honor the deal. He started negotiating at 6pm and the dealership closes at 8pm. So, I don't really understand why you can't buy a car 2 hours before the dealership closes and it is considered too late in the day? My husband left with the contract & deposit receipt in hand and told them he wanted the car. What are our rights? First step?

Thanks for any info.

shortbus

Sounds like they owe you a car at the negotiated price, including the rebate.

I would ignore the intimidation tactics and go see the manager of the dealership immediately. If you don't get anywhere with him, then it's time to phone a lawyer.

1twenty1

dont forget...

keep in mind they walk hand-in-hand, (salesmen, managers, etc) just like in any other business, they watch each others backs...my situation is totally opposite...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">