• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed up for service on month by month, when I tried to cancel was told no!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barbwitt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey.
I called the knot to advertise my services using their site. I was told that I could cancel anytime. After a few months with no leads generated by their site I called to cancel. I was told I had signed up for a year! They kept billing my card until I finally cancelled it. Now they are threatening to send me to collections. I never agreed to one year, it was never mentioned, and I did not sign anything. I've contacted other people they've done this to and they do indeed send these items to collections. What to do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I called the knot to advertise my services using their site. I was told that I could cancel anytime. After a few months with no leads generated by their site I called to cancel. I was told I had signed up for a year! They kept billing my card until I finally cancelled it. Now they are threatening to send me to collections. I never agreed to one year, it was never mentioned, and I did not sign anything. I've contacted other people they've done this to and they do indeed send these items to collections. What to do?
It's pretty clear when signing up that the monthly pricing is based on a 12 month commitment.

Proserpina

It said you could cancel at any time.... but it didn't promise that you wouldn't be held to further charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">