• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signed, witnessed & notorized agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marlainorg

What is the name of your state? oregon/tenn.
question, My father passed away(tenn). he had a will. At the time of his death, there were some people living at his house. Known to the family for years. These people used my father for all that he had. He did not want them living there but he would not put them out on the street, also at the time that my father made his will circumstances were different. In my fathers will, he did not list them as beneficiaries or heirs, but in a personal letter to me, my father asked that I give each of them 5,000.00. All my father had to his name was his house that took alot of time to clean up, paint etc. before I could put it up for sale. I was emotionally distressed with the loss of my father and having to deal with his estate. His estate went into probate and is soon due to close. In order to get these people out, I had given one of the people 1,000.00 in cash so they could move out. I had given them all of the furniture, food, appliances and anything else they wanted. I now have learned that because my father did not list them as beneficiaries/heirs in his will, that I did not have to give them anything. My question is this? I had written up an agreement with the one I gave the 1,000.00 to, had it witnessed and notorized stating that I would give them each the money that my father left to them at the close of probate. Because of the fact that I did not have to give them anything is this a binding agreement and can I get into trouble for not keeping the agreement?
Thank you

racer72

If your agreement states that you would give them the money left to them in the will, and if nothing is left to them in the will, you do not have to give them anything. But if your agreement is that you would give them money at the close of probate, you will have to pay. You are in serious need of a probate attorney, contact one soon.

Z

zappy

I did not have to give them anything is this a binding agreement and can I get into trouble for not keeping the agreement?
--------------------

Oh come on now, you dont need the money anyway, thats why you signed the agreement to give it to them...

YES you have to honor your stupidity.

marlainorg

this is how the agreement read.

I **** ******, entered into agreement with ***** ***** representative for the estate of ***** *****.
It is agreed that the sum of $1,000.00 will be borrowed against the money left to me by ***** *****.
I understand and agree that after the close of probate I will receive the balance of $4,000.00 which was left to me by *****
signed, witnessed,notorized.

Since the person was not listed in the will, that would make this agreement null and void?????????????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">