• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple liability issue answer neede fast...thx

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

superguest2000

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? WA

I rented a wing from an instructor of mine. Lots of people within our group were flying and I had to leave early. I left the wing with another pilot within our group to return to the instructor. We do this all the time and he agreed to return it for me. I left. While he was not looking, it was stolen.

- Am I fully responsible for replacement value to the instructor?
- What's my liability here?
- What about my friend?

Thanks....

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

superguest2000 said:

I rented a wing from an instructor of mine. Lots of people within our group were flying and I had to leave early. I left the wing with another pilot within our group to return to the instructor. We do this all the time and he agreed to return it for me. I left. While he was not looking, it was stolen.

- What about my friend?

Thanks....

My response:

What the hell are you talking about? You're using terms that only you are familiar with, and none of it makes sense to anyone else. Are you talking about a chicken wing, the Northrop "Flying Wing", a "wing and a prayer", a model airplane, a parachute, a Paul and Linda McCartney album, the "wind beneath my wings", etc.?

Can you actually take a "wing" (presumably off of an airplane) and leave it with someone else? Was this a B-52 "Super Fortress" wing?

IAAL

Last edited:

superguest2000

let me go even further to explain that a paraglider, for the sake of everyones understanding and to get an answer to liability issue is similiar to a parachute in size and fabric construction etc. it folds into a large backpack and that is how easily it was stolen...thx

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

superguest2000 said:

MY RESPONSE: You are responsible, but only for the "fair market value" - - not "replacement value". What do used "wings" sell for in your area?

MY RESPONSE: You and your instructor created a "bailment for hire". In such an instance, you are required to use "great care" in making sure the item is returned to its rightful owner. You didn't.

- What about my friend?

MY RESPONSE: What about your friend? Your instructor didn't have an agreement with your friend - - only you. You're problem is with your friend, and your instructor doesn't have to deal with that aspect. Your instructor put the wing into your hands, and legally expects it, or the value thereof, from you. You and your friend created a "gratuitous bailment", i.e., There was no money passed between you and your friend. Your friend is liable to you for the value of the wing you pay to your instructor.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">