• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slip and fall at the gym

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sara03

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
Situation
=========
I purchased a 3 month membership for a gym. On the very first day I joined the gym, the gym was so careless that they had left an unused treadmill running on which I stepped on, and had a violent fall. As a result I have incurred and incurring costs related to first aid, doctor, imaging, physical therapy, while being unable to use my 3 month gym membership.

Problem:
========
I requested the gym to reimburse costs incurred as well as costs for pain and suffering, approximately $10,000 in total. However, I received a statement from their lawyer today, that because I signed a contract agreeing to discharge them from any claims, they are not obligated to pay me any monies.

My Questions
===========
1. How much weight does he contract have?
2. Doesn’t the gym have a duty of care to properly maintain their equipment
3. What is my recourse: small claims, mediation, anything else you recommend?
4. What is your opinion and what are my chances of winning?

Antigone*

Situation
=========
I purchased a 3 month membership for a gym. On the very first day I joined the gym, the gym was so careless that they had left an unused treadmill running on which I stepped on, and had a violent fall. As a result I have incurred and incurring costs related to first aid, doctor, imaging, physical therapy, while being unable to use my 3 month gym membership.

Problem:
========
I requested the gym to reimburse costs incurred as well as costs for pain and suffering, approximately $10,000 in total. However, I received a statement from their lawyer today, that because I signed a contract agreeing to discharge them from any claims, they are not obligated to pay me any monies.

My Questions
===========
I have a question of my own for you. Why would the gym be responsible for you stepping onto a piece of equipment that was left on by another member? How much of this responsibility should you bear?

Mass_Shyster

Situation
=========

Problem:
========

My Questions
===========
I seem to recall that a contract can disclaim ordinary negligence, but cannot disclaim gross negligence.

1) I don't know. I haven't read it.

2) Does the gym have a duty of care to turn off a machine that the customer did not?

3) Can you sue for $10K in small claims in your jurisdiction? I suspect if you sue in small claims, the defense will remove the case to trial court as a matter of course.

4) My opinion is that you should be more careful. I don't think you have good chance of winning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">