• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Court filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clpogorelc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I want to file case in small claims court for work that a contractor hasn't completed at my home but for which he has been paid. A few issues have come up after completion of work and the contractor has failed to complete the "warranty work" he promised to do.

It says that the claim has to be filed in the district in which the defendant (contractor) resides. At the time the work was done the contractor lived in Yakima but he now tells me he has moved to the Seattle area.

Do I have to file with the Seattle courts or since the work was done here can I file in Yakima District Court?

Not sure of his current address or if he is still maintaining a residence here as well.

justalayman

did "he" do the work or did "his business" do the work? "he" may not be the proper defendant and may have no personal liability if he has a company that shields him from personal liability.

danaleebell0666

I just had this problem. I had to switch my small claims hearing over to a different county.. I am going over a car being sold to me with faulty brakes and a fraudelent warranty. Because i bought the car in Centre county my case can not be heard where i filed it in clearfield county. The words from the judge to me was that wherever the crime actually took place is the same county you should file in.
I would guess it would be right to file it in your area being that he worked for you in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">