• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Lawsuit for Breach of Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paharris13

Small Claims Lawsuit Breach of Contract Kitchen Remodeling

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

We had a company come to our house to give us an estimate for refinishing our kitchen cabinets. We were given an estimate and I decided to give them a check for $500 and the remainder of the terms were to pay half prior to the start of the project to cover material costs and balance upon completion. The same day when my husband came home from work he called this company right away and told them he wanted to get his check back as he wanted to get more estimates first. The company called back the next day and verbally agreed that we would come pick up a refund check as the company had already deposited our check. Due to the distance to travel to pick up this check was not worth it we left a message with the company and sent the company a self-addressed stamped envelope to send our refund check and never received our refund check even after repeated calls and every time we call we always got voice mail. To resolve we filed with the BBB and this company never responded to the complaint. We are now being sued in small claims court for breach of contract. Don't we have a right to cancel a contract within 72 hours or 3 days depending on circumstances and state? The contract with this company has no clause indicating what to do if you change your mind. Also, I signed the contract but I did not date, any laws that require a person sign and date a contract? What are my rights as a consumer? Am I in breach of contract? What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Hot Topic

Companies don't have to respond to the BBB, which is very much a "paper tiger," meaning that it has no legal authority to make a business do anything it doesn't choose to do.

Contact the state attorney general's office.

You should NEVER sign a contract that doesn't give you an "out" if things don't go as planned or promised.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">