• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sold a boat and now seller wants out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marci66

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I sold a boat to a man and he paid it all up front . He needed to meet us for the title change and set up someone to tow it home . We filled out a bill of sale so he could get insurance on the boat. This happened on 10/25/15, every weekend he has said he was coming to get it and meet for the title change but something always comes up. Well last night he called and said he had problems now ( driving on suspended license and got his truck towed) He wants his money back . The problem is i put some of that money down on a different boat as he kept telling me to go ahead and do it because the sale was final. What are my options?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I sold a boat to a man and he paid it all up front . He needed to meet us for the title change and set up someone to tow it home . We filled out a bill of sale so he could get insurance on the boat. This happened on 10/25/15, every weekend he has said he was coming to get it and meet for the title change but something always comes up. Well last night he called and said he had problems now ( driving on suspended license and got his truck towed) He wants his money back . The problem is i put some of that money down on a different boat as he kept telling me to go ahead and do it because the sale was final. What are my options?
Tell him the sale was final. He can put it up for sale himself.

marci66

thats what we told him but he saids he doesnt have the money to do the title and registration. Thinking of give him the money back minus what we put on the other boat. Then putting it up for sale again. Is it legal if we have him sign a paper that he agrees?

quincy

You only need to start one thread.

You can agree with the purchaser to void the sale, refund the money and resell the boat to someone else. Get everything in writing.

Last edited:

marci66

Thank you, i didnt know if i put it in the right spot so i moved it over :) which thread should i keep?

quincy

Thank you, i didnt know if i put it in the right spot so i moved it over :) which thread should i keep?
Your other thread has been deleted. You should continue with this thread.

As I mentioned in the now-deleted thread, you can tell the purchaser that the sale of the boat was a final sale and there is no refund. You are not responsible for the fact that he has problems with his license or his truck. You can suggest to him that he find someone with a truck and a license to help him retrieve his boat.

Or, you can come to an agreement with him to void the sale. You can refund his money (minus costs) and you can resell the boat. Make sure any agreement is in writing and is signed by both you and the fellow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">