• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold boat without a title Now threatening to sue me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wade0731

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri and Illnois

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Missouri & Illinois.

Okay a year ago I bought a boat. The owner scribbled out his name on the title because he didn't title his name on it and just sold it to me to avoid paying sales tax. So I thought I could title it easy, but I couldn't because scribbling voided the title. So I couldn't find the original owner on the title who sold it to the guy..who sold it to me. Ridiculous I know. So I put it up for sale as I have the title but it isn't useful to get it titled. I have the boat motor and trailer titled in my name though.

The guy who bought it from me took the title to a title clerk and turns out the title has a lien on it which I had no idea about. It says nothing about a lien on it. So the guy freaked out saying oh there is a lien on it and it was illegal to sell etc. I told him I was very upfront with him and completely honest about everything with the boat and told him the title would not work to title it so I don't know why he tried it. He told me all he needed was a bill of sale to get on the lake in his private place. He is threatening to sue me over $1700... Does he have a case? I TOLD him the title was no good and wouldn't be able to get it titled.

He said he only needed a bill of sale to get on the lake he was on since it was a private lake near his house. I gave him a bill of sale and the titles in my name for the motor and trailer. He said I'm "title jumping". I was never even able to title it in my name as I tried to get a hold of the original owner but he moved from where the title stated he was.

I bought the boat in Illinois but I live in Missouri. Boat is titled i Illinois.

Does he have a case to actually sue me? He said he is calling the attorney general. Do I have anything to worry about since I distinctly told him everything?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri and Illnois

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Missouri & Illinois.

Okay a year ago I bought a boat. The owner scribbled out his name on the title because he didn't title his name on it and just sold it to me to avoid paying sales tax. So I thought I could title it easy, but I couldn't because scribbling voided the title. So I couldn't find the original owner on the title who sold it to the guy..who sold it to me. Ridiculous I know. So I put it up for sale as I have the title but it isn't useful to get it titled. I have the boat motor and trailer titled in my name though.

The guy who bought it from me took the title to a title clerk and turns out the title has a lien on it which I had no idea about. It says nothing about a lien on it. So the guy freaked out saying oh there is a lien on it and it was illegal to sell etc. I told him I was very upfront with him and completely honest about everything with the boat and told him the title would not work to title it so I don't know why he tried it. He told me all he needed was a bill of sale to get on the lake in his private place. He is threatening to sue me over $1700... Does he have a case? I TOLD him the title was no good and wouldn't be able to get it titled.

He said he only needed a bill of sale to get on the lake he was on since it was a private lake near his house. I gave him a bill of sale and the titles in my name for the motor and trailer. He said I'm "title jumping". I was never even able to title it in my name as I tried to get a hold of the original owner but he moved from where the title stated he was.

I bought the boat in Illinois but I live in Missouri. Boat is titled i Illinois.

Does he have a case to actually sue me? He said he is calling the attorney general. Do I have anything to worry about since I distinctly told him everything?
I'd offer to refund the guy his money, as well as any reasonable costs that he has incurred because of your illegal attempt at title jumping. Make sure you get the boat back. You are free to seek out the guy you bought it from and make the same sort of threats.

wade0731

So say this goes to court..he can actually sue me for this? I can't even title it in my name and I can't find the original owner.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So say this goes to court..he can actually sue me for this? I can't even title it in my name and I can't find the original owner.
Right - so you figure it's fine to just pass the problem on to someone else.

You weren't legally entitled to sell the boat...what do you think will happen in court?

xylene

None of this is ridiculous.

This your fault for accepting a a 'scribbled out title'

I'm betting it even says right on the title that such cross outs make it void.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">