• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold a car, damaged during transport to buyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Swayzee101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey (Seller) Florida (Buyer)

I recently sold a car privately to a buyer in Florida. I sold the car "As Is" with no warranty expressed or implied and had the buyer sign the document before allowing him to et the car. He signed and the buyer hired a trucking company to pick the car up in NJ where I live and transport it to Florida to be delivered to him. I signed the documentation stating any damage (scratches/dents) from the transport company the day they picked it up and they drove it off. The rig was not able to make it to my neighborhood as the roads were not large enough to accomodate the rig.
The vehicle was delivered 4 days later to the buyer. When the buyer received the car, he signed for the condition it was in, which from the outside was fine, and drive it off. 10 minutes into driving it, the transmission began slipping and the car began making a high pitched sound and he noticed that in order to drive straight, the wheel had to be turned at a 45 degree angle. The seller called me immediately and I began walking him through things to diagnose the issue. He discovered that there was no transmission fluid in the vehicle. When I gave the car up, all fluids had been topped off. He then purchased transmission fluid and poured it in but it fell straight to the ground. The fluid that was in the car when it left my hands was nowhere which only leads me to believe that the vehicle which sits 4" from the ground was badly damaged during transport because of it's height which was conveyed to this company more then 10 times.
I actually have a video of the car being driven off by the transport company to prove that it was in working order mechanically when I gave it up to them.

I am curious where the liability sits in this situation. Trucking company, buyer or myself? I don't want to screw the buyer but the car that was delivered was very clearly not in the condition that I handed it to the transport company in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">