• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold a car that did not have the options that the salesperson said it had.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janelljagielski

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I bought a car on Friday from a Ford dealership. We did not test drive the actual car as it did not have the navigation system we wanted. The dealership brought one down from another dealer in Dallas. We took it home on Friday and Saturday morning I noticed that it did not have the rearview camera that the salesperson said it was going to have. I called the sales person and he said sure it has one. I went to the dealership and he looked and was surprised when it didn't. He then went and looked at the paperwork and said that it didn't have one. That he made a mistake. I told him I paid them for the car based on the fact that he said there was one. And asked what they were going to do. He said that we could pay cost for the camera to be installed. I think they should install it since they told us that it was included in the car. I need to know if I have a case in case they don't want to cough up for the camera. Please advise.
Thanks,
Janell

justalayman

is the camera or your request (requirement) for a camera listed on any paperwork you have such as a sales agreement or sales order (contract)?

janelljagielski

Nothing on paper. Although he readily admits that he told us that the camera would come with the navigation system. He even spoke with other salesman and they also believed that it would come with the navigation system.

justalayman

first, a little research on your part would have made this less likely to happen. Packages and what is included are available to anybody that wants to look it up. That way, you would have known if it was included with whatever package or not rather than depending on the salesman.

second, with nothing in writing, you will be hard pressed to prove he stated it was included. If you can prove it, fight for it.

davew128

I don't know which model Ford this is supposed to be, but most if not all of the ones with factory navigation as an option have that camera included as part of the navigation package. This includes the Kuga model and presumably all the way up to Mustang/Expedition etc.

The reason it doesn't show up on the paperwork is the same reason the navigation antenna doesn't show up: It's a vehicle part not an add-on option. You get the nav and its part of the nav package.

justalayman

In every piece of literature I could find directly from Ford as well as quite a few other links, I could find nothing that even mentioned a rear view camera on an Edge, optional or not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In every piece of literature I could find directly from Ford as well as quite a few other links, I could find nothing that even mentioned a rear view camera on an Edge, optional or not.
Agreed - even trying to build one, you don't have an option for the rear camera...

janelljagielski

I went to the dealership today and spoke with the sales manager. They weren't helpful until I asked to speak with the general manager. They are installing a rearview camera this week courtesy of the dealership. Thanks for your input.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I went to the dealership today and spoke with the sales manager. They weren't helpful until I asked to speak with the general manager. They are installing a rearview camera this week courtesy of the dealership. Thanks for your input.
Congratulations on your public-relations victory. Ford was under no legal obligation to proceed as they did ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">