• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sold car to private party now buyer threatens lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ocguy71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

I advertised my car for sale on the internet and disclosed all known issues that I had with the car. Along with pictures I also uploaded a youtube video with a summary as well and close up video of the car running so viewers can hear the car running.

I met with the buyer and sold the car. We both signed a bill of sale stating that the car was sold in 'as is' condition with no expressed or implied warranties. Now the buyer called me the next day stating that the motor has low compression in 2 cylinders and the motor needs a rebuild. He threatened a lawsuit. Does the buyer have any legal recourse? It also had possible problems passing emissions that I also pointed out but I gave the buyer a catalytic converter in case of issue.

I've met several people who owns the same model car just days prior to the sale and I asked them if they thought my car sounded bad or wrong. Their reply was "no." I don't know how the car was driven after it left my presence but it ran fine at idle and while driving.

Here's the actual information from the bill of sale we both signed:

I, the undersigned seller, do sell the above-described vehicle to the buyer for the amount shown 
and certify that all of the information provided in this Bill of Sale is true and accurate to the 
best of my knowledge.

I, the undersigned buyer, acknowledge receipt of this Bill of Sale and understand there is no
guarantee or warranty, expressed or implied, with respect to the above-described property. It is 
also understood that the above-stated vehicle is sold in "as is" condition. It is also understood that
buyer will take the responsibility to obtain a California smog certificate in order to transfer title.
Thank you.

mikeep

Hi, I'm not an attorney but have learned a lot watching Judge Judy--no lie! :)

And from your description he has no case. Done. He signed the contract, so it's on him. The judge should ask him, "Did you check the car out first with a mechanic?" "No." "Then you should have." Done.

Rereading your post, he checks the car out AFTER he buys it!!

I bought one lemon in my life, from a clown, while I was seriously grieving and depressed about a personal loss. I brought the car to my mechanic and the first words out of his mouth were, "Did you drive this?" I certainly didn't sue the seller due to my stupidity, although I did call him and tell him what I thought of his piece of...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">