• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold car without smog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cheapdirt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CALIFORNIA. Sale price $1300 95 Chevy s-10 Blazer 4wd

Yesterday I sold a car to some lady off craigslist....this being my first car I've ever sold I didn't realize I had to smog it before selling until I got home and googled if I had completed everything properly....I signed pink slip and bill of sale but didn't give smog as the DMV website said I should...so today I called her and told her I checked the DMV website and I am supposed to provide a smog so I told her I'd pay to have it smogged if she wanted to meet me at a smog place....so she did....and it failed...I told her I would refund all her money and take the car back....but she wants to keep the car and me to keep the money.

She seems like an old naive lady hopped up on pills.

I'm worried that if I let her keep it she won't be able to transfer it out of my name...for who knows how long...

Then possibly later she will sue me for the repair cost to get it up to smog....I've already offered her money back for the car and she refused...I paid for the smog with her there with me...do I have anything to worry about letting her keep it.....I've tried calling her all day but now she isn't answering or responding to voicemails I've left asking her if she's sure she wants it and she has not returned any phone calls.

How long does she have to sue me for cost of repair for smog?
For instance say she doesn't register it for 5 months and never contacts me for anything can she still bring it up that it won't pass smog 5 months from now?
If I offered to give money back but she still wants the car am I still liable for repairs to make it pass smog?

She said she would never sue me....I asked....but I can't trust people these days...I just want to cover myself....I've already filed release of liability online...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">