• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sold my motorcycle and guy never fully paid me....help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acrouse

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

I sold my motorcycle last fall for $2500. I agreed to let the guy give me $500 a month for the bike until he had it paid off. We never wrote out a bill of sale or any agreement but I let him take the bike. (I know big mistake!) Anyway, he paid me $1200 total before he told me he didn't think he could afford it. Long story short it is now almost May and he still has my bike and hasn't paid for all of it. He does not have the title and has been driving the bike on my license plates and insurance, he even got 3 parking tickets that were mailed to my house! What can I do?
I have the title and a spare key. Can I legally go get it off the street in front of his house? Technically the bike is still mine since the title is in my name and he will not cooperate.
Can I report the motorcycle as stolen?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

I sold my motorcycle last fall for $2500. I agreed to let the guy give me $500 a month for the bike until he had it paid off. We never wrote out a bill of sale or any agreement but I let him take the bike. (I know big mistake!) Anyway, he paid me $1200 total before he told me he didn't think he could afford it. Long story short it is now almost May and he still has my bike and hasn't paid for all of it. He does not have the title and has been driving the bike on my license plates and insurance, he even got 3 parking tickets that were mailed to my house! What can I do?
I have the title and a spare key. Can I legally go get it off the street in front of his house? Technically the bike is still mine since the title is in my name and he will not cooperate.
Can I report the motorcycle as stolen?
So what are you waiting for, go pick up your bike. Please note if you repossess the vehicle, you are under no obligation to give him any of the money he's paid back.

No, you cannot report it as stolen ~ you'd be lying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">