• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is 'Sold as Seen' untouchable on a car receipt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JayCirc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I recently bought a used car from a VERY small car sales/repairs man/garage.

I was told the car was mechanically perfect. But that very evening after buying it, the 'check engine light' came on. I brought it back the very next day, he seemingly ran a diagnostics check on it and told me the car was fine and 'just needed to be reset' as he put it. Again, that night, the 'check engine light' came on again.

Annoyed, I brought it to a different mechanics, and they ran a diagnostics check on it, a code for a faulty o2 sensor came up. They provoided me with an invoice with all the work so I was happy with it. I paid for the diagnostics and had it repaired that day.
The next day, the 'check engine light' came on again.

* please note that you can reset a 'check engine light' with any OBD scanner, and it takes a certain amount of miles for the car computer to recycle and pick back up on a fault. The battery was also disconnected when I got the car, because I had to get the radio code. Disconnecting the battery is a quick solution to turn off the 'check engine light' aswel.

With 'Sold as seen' on mt receipt, have I a leg to stand on. He told me the car was ''mechanically perfect'', and I've pictures from the add saying the ''car needs nothing''.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I recently bought a used car from a VERY small car sales/repairs man/garage.

I was told the car was mechanically perfect. But that very evening after buying it, the 'check engine light' came on. I brought it back the very next day, he seemingly ran a diagnostics check on it and told me the car was fine and 'just needed to be reset' as he put it. Again, that night, the 'check engine light' came on again.

Annoyed, I brought it to a different mechanics, and they ran a diagnostics check on it, a code for a faulty o2 sensor came up. They provoided me with an invoice with all the work so I was happy with it. I paid for the diagnostics and had it repaired that day.
The next day, the 'check engine light' came on again.

* please note that you can reset a 'check engine light' with any OBD scanner, and it takes a certain amount of miles for the car computer to recycle and pick back up on a fault. The battery was also disconnected when I got the car, because I had to get the radio code. Disconnecting the battery is a quick solution to turn off the 'check engine light' aswel.

With 'Sold as seen' on mt receipt, have I a leg to stand on. He told me the car was ''mechanically perfect'', and I've pictures from the add saying the ''car needs nothing''.
Sorry. United States Law Only. If you can not be bothered to post your state, then we can not really assist you. :(

swalsh411

US law only. You might want to start with seeing if such a concept as "as is" exists in your country.

Also, no used car is "mechanically perfect". There will always be wear and tear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">