• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold a used Boss Mustang with a manufacturers warranty but warranty was void

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jpward

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I was sold a highly modified 2013 Boss Mustang. 3000 made, limited production car. I was sold this car with a full manufacturers warranty still in tact. One month later the 3/36 ran out. The 5/60 power train has been voided by 5 dealerships I visited all over the state. Ford Motor Company sides with the dealers determination. The title will be branded void of warranty this week. The car has been highly modified for auto cross racing. I was told the car was over 700 rwhp. It is 456rwhp on dyno. The 700 hp was my determining factor on what I wanted from the car. I knew at that level there would be no warranty. However it is not what I was told and did have a warranty as the car sits like I bought it. I have made no modifications to it. The first day I had the car I realized there was cord coming out of the inside edges of the front tires. They said tough luck. I spent $1500 on tires, a camber kit, and not even a discount on installation. Two days later the drivers rear caliper came completely off the car on the freeway at 70mph. I lost all brakes and my clutch. I can drive without brakes or a clutch. Not many people can. I stopped the car secured the caliper and headed to the dealer ticked off. They claimed they fixed it for free. They are the ones who previously inspected the brakes. If I didn't know what I was doing, I could have been killed. Next was the battery I replaced that was dead on showroom floor. Again, tough luck. I was never provided the promised info on engine modifications. The car won't run without a tune on it. I traced the serial number on the tuner back to the man (incredible man) who tuned the car. It used to have a procharger f1a on it and was 1256rwhp! I was charged $9500 for mods on the car. The procharger is $9500. I love the car and want to keep it. The dealer also stole my equity and forged documents in my name as well as screwing my credit with tons of inquiries. I have a leaky front main crank seal and some transmission issues that should be covered under the original power train warranty that is void. I have been to every govt agency and the only thing they can do is fine them through the motor vehicle commission where an ad hoc hearing is scheduled. That still doesn't solve my problems. What can I do to rectify my situation without going broke? Isn't not putting bolts back in a brake caliper which caused total brake failure and clutch failure attempted negligent homicide or something? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Jay Ward

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I was sold a highly modified 2013 Boss Mustang. 3000 made, limited production car. I was sold this car with a full manufacturers warranty still in tact. One month later the 3/36 ran out. The 5/60 power train has been voided by 5 dealerships I visited all over the state. Ford Motor Company sides with the dealers determination. The title will be branded void of warranty this week. The car has been highly modified for auto cross racing. I was told the car was over 700 rwhp. It is 456rwhp on dyno. The 700 hp was my determining factor on what I wanted from the car. I knew at that level there would be no warranty. However it is not what I was told and did have a warranty as the car sits like I bought it. I have made no modifications to it. The first day I had the car I realized there was cord coming out of the inside edges of the front tires. They said tough luck. I spent $1500 on tires, a camber kit, and not even a discount on installation. Two days later the drivers rear caliper came completely off the car on the freeway at 70mph. I lost all brakes and my clutch. I can drive without brakes or a clutch. Not many people can. I stopped the car secured the caliper and headed to the dealer ticked off. They claimed they fixed it for free. They are the ones who previously inspected the brakes. If I didn't know what I was doing, I could have been killed. Next was the battery I replaced that was dead on showroom floor. Again, tough luck. I was never provided the promised info on engine modifications. The car won't run without a tune on it. I traced the serial number on the tuner back to the man (incredible man) who tuned the car. It used to have a procharger f1a on it and was 1256rwhp! I was charged $9500 for mods on the car. The procharger is $9500. I love the car and want to keep it. The dealer also stole my equity and forged documents in my name as well as screwing my credit with tons of inquiries. I have a leaky front main crank seal and some transmission issues that should be covered under the original power train warranty that is void. I have been to every govt agency and the only thing they can do is fine them through the motor vehicle commission where an ad hoc hearing is scheduled. That still doesn't solve my problems. What can I do to rectify my situation without going broke? Isn't not putting bolts back in a brake caliper which caused total brake failure and clutch failure attempted negligent homicide or something? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Jay Ward
You bought a highly modified race car without an inspection by a mechanic who was competent enough to properly evaluate a race car?

You somehow thought that a manufacturer's warranty covered a highly modified race car? Did you get that in writing?

It sounds to me like your deal was too good to be true. If you want your money back, then you'll have to return the car. If you want the car, then I suspect that you'll have to suck it up.

FlyingRon

Tires are almost never covered by warranty even if you had one. I'm confused why a failed caliper would take out all brakes and the clutch. The master cylinder on that car is split so at most you lose half. It's not connected with the clutch at all (completely different systems).

Cars equipped for racing almost always invalidate the manufacturer warranty.

Jpward

Clutch

The clutch and brakes work off of the same hydraulic system. One reservoir. When the piston over expanded the reservoir sucked air and both pedals went to the floor. I don't mean to seem rude, but I am very competent on these systems. I design similar systems for a living. Please don't take that the wrong way. I think I should have been told about cord sticking out of the front inner tires upon inspection. And brake calipers don't just fall off.

Zigner

The clutch and brakes work off of the same hydraulic system. One reservoir. When the piston over expanded the reservoir sucked air and both pedals went to the floor. I don't mean to seem rude, but I am very competent on these systems. I design similar systems for a living. Please don't take that the wrong way. I think I should have been told about cord sticking out of the front inner tires upon inspection. And brake calipers don't just fall off.
I agree - why didn't your mechanic catch a cord sticking out of the inside of the tire? Heck, why didn't you? I agree that brake calipers don't just fall off. Your mechanic should have seen if there was a problem when he inspected the vehicle. Why didn't he catch it? If it wasn't obvious to him, then why should it have been obvious to the seller?

I think that you saw this car, started salivating, and bought it without due diligence.

Zigner

Why does the car have a separate master cylinder for the clutch if they work off the same system? Genuine question - not meant to be snarky.

FlyingRon

Why does the car have a separate master cylinder for the clutch if they work off the same system? Genuine question - not meant to be snarky.
I don't buy it. The Boss mustang doesn't, I suppose your goofy race mods made that change, but I'd doubt it. The clutch reservoir is a conical shaped thing on the firewall. The brake fluid reservoir is integral with the top of hte master cylinder(s).

OHRoadwarrior

An engine that has been modified such as you indicate, then rebuilt down, would automatically void the warranty. Unless the dealer took off the caliper it is not their issue. The front bald tires seem to indicate someone burned off the tread, then switched them to the front so the car was raced. !0 passes on the track and the engine needs a rebuild. Standard drag racing rule.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">