• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone, anyone, please help!!!!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heatherna

What is the name of your state? NC

My boyfriend purchased a car from a used car dealer today. He bought it as-is and drove it off the lot right before they closed down for the day. Prior to him purchasing it, he test drove it two days in a row, and it was fine. On the way home, the transmission gave out, like 30 minutes after he drove it off the lot. So now, he is having AAA tow it back to the car lot. He paid half cash and half check for the car. He stopped payment on the check. Is there like a 24 hour rule or something. They verbally told him that the only thing wrong with the car was the high amount of miles. He checked the car on carfax and everything. Do they have any obligation to repair it or give him his money or something? Any advice or information of NC State Laws regarding this issue is greatly appreciated. :confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Heatherna said:
What is the name of your state? NC

My boyfriend purchased a car from a used car dealer today. He bought it as-is and drove it off the lot right before they closed down for the day. Prior to him purchasing it, he test drove it two days in a row, and it was fine. On the way home, the transmission gave out, like 30 minutes after he drove it off the lot. So now, he is having AAA tow it back to the car lot. He paid half cash and half check for the car. He stopped payment on the check. Is there like a 24 hour rule or something. They verbally told him that the only thing wrong with the car was the high amount of miles. He checked the car on carfax and everything. Do they have any obligation to repair it or give him his money or something? Any advice or information of NC State Laws regarding this issue is greatly appreciated. :confused:

My response:

If the car had a rearview mirror, and if your boyfriend looked back, he would have seen the salesman, the manager, the mechanics, and even the night janitor, laughing their guts out, slapping their knees, and patting each other on the back!

Your boyfriend is going to find out what "as-is" means, real fast. He's also going to find out what the meaning of placing a "stop payment" is on an executed, as-is, contract. Ask your boyfriend to look up the meaning of "caveat emptor."

Obviously, in South Carolina, there are a lot of Dufus people.

IAAL

Where is this 24hr and 3 day rule coming from???? Everyone who gets screwed on a car deal ALWAYS refer to that b.s rule. What don't you understand about getting a mechanic 1st then signing the contract do you not understand!!! Stop relying on just the carfax report and the salesman's word. Sheesh!!!

skylinedo

Just because the transmission goes out doesn't mean the whole car is bad. You said your boyfriend even checked CarFax. Might need a new clutch or something.

pammness

Where do we get the terms buyers remorse and 3 day return policies on used cars....

Virginia here..... where do we get these 3 day and buyers remorse crap from ??? We get it from talking to friends/people who appear to know what there talking about. Why is that not laws such as these to help prootect us from fraud, misrepresentations and cons ??? We are trusting people that think the law should also protect us from being ripped off.
Only to find that the laws protect the big businessman. We are not told by the dealers that we have the right to take it to an independant mechanic on our own until AFTER we have the car and contract and the issues. How are we to know we can take THERE car on our own to have it checked when we can't drive it for test drive without the salesman in the car ? Where are the disclaimers telling us what our rights are before we sign the contract ? What about issues of major degree....i.e. bad transmission that will not show up unless the transmission is torn down or the check engine light comes on ? Why are we paying topretail dollar for used cars with minor repairs and getting stuck still paying top dollar and the cost for major repairs, extended warranties can also be misleading, told dealer we were not mechanically inclined, and needed a warranty to reflect this, was sold one that also included belts and gaskets and hoses,but when needed found it only to cover the trans. Not easy to read the warranty and did not know this until I called the warranty company.
We are but the average citizen that sees these as being "truths" that seem to be in our best interest and it is not like there unheard of, we just don't know until it is to late that they do not apply to used cars.
The big company's need no protection from us, they outsmart us and rip us off daily!! It is us, the consumer who needs laws to protect us from the big money men, called the used car dealers.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pammness said:
Virginia here..... where do we get these 3 day and buyers remorse crap from ??? We get it from talking to friends/people who appear to know what there talking about. Why is that not laws such as these to help prootect us from fraud, misrepresentations and cons ??? We are trusting people that think the law should also protect us from being ripped off.
Only to find that the laws protect the big businessman. We are not told by the dealers that we have the right to take it to an independant mechanic on our own until AFTER we have the car and contract and the issues. How are we to know we can take THERE car on our own to have it checked when we can't drive it for test drive without the salesman in the car ? Where are the disclaimers telling us what our rights are before we sign the contract ? What about issues of major degree....i.e. bad transmission that will not show up unless the transmission is torn down or the check engine light comes on ? Why are we paying topretail dollar for used cars with minor repairs and getting stuck still paying top dollar and the cost for major repairs, extended warranties can also be misleading, told dealer we were not mechanically inclined, and needed a warranty to reflect this, was sold one that also included belts and gaskets and hoses,but when needed found it only to cover the trans. Not easy to read the warranty and did not know this until I called the warranty company.
We are but the average citizen that sees these as being "truths" that seem to be in our best interest and it is not like there unheard of, we just don't know until it is to late that they do not apply to used cars.
The big company's need no protection from us, they outsmart us and rip us off daily!! It is us, the consumer who needs laws to protect us from the big money men, called the used car dealers.

My response:

Would someone, PLEASE, take this person by the hand and lead them around for the rest of their life?

IAAL

pammness

I am 40 years old and have not had the need to be led anywhere, until I got took on this last used car... I have bought used cars many times before and never had issues, I always got what I paid for. and have been satisfied with the past experiences. Why is it that a store has to give me back my 4 bucks on a gallon of soured milk but I am stuck with a 9,000. piece of misrepresented crap some salemen calls a excellent buy ? Excellent buy my butt!! Yea, you know I walked in the dealer and said, I have tons of money, want the crappiest car you have so I can spend 9 weeks, 7 trips to the mechanics only to keep sinking money into this Top retail priced piece of crap they didn't even bother to check out before selling me !!!! Although they stated they did a 98 point check.... NOT!!! Yea, your right, if me being honest with the dealer when I bought a used car, because I NEED a car but can't afford a new one, but am willing to buy extended warranty and telling the dealer what I need,only to have himm sell me the complete oppisite..... What I need is not someone to lead me, but businesses to be held responsible for the merchandise they are now able to pawn off on us, the average citizen. What we all really need is for them to be held accountable for what they do or don't do reguarding our purchases. Lead me to the nearest person who can change the laws to protect us from used car ripoffs!! If Wal-mart has a money back guarntee of satisfaction with-in there POSTED guidelines, why can't a car dealershipoffer the do same thing for a Major purchase?

pammness said:
We get it from talking to friends/people who appear to know what there talking about.
That's the problem.....too many people listening to others who appear to know what they are talking about. It's up to you as the consumer to do the research.

pammness said:
We are not told by the dealers that we have the right to take it to an independant mechanic on our own until AFTER we have the car and contract and the issues. How are we to know we can take THERE car on our own to have it checked when we can't drive it for test drive without the salesman in the car ?
You can have your mechanic come to the dealership to inspect the car or you can simply ask take the car to your mechanic.

pammness

Know that now

My point was/is that noone mentions these facts until AFTER you have the problem car..... Consumers (us) expect those selling the goods to not misrepresent them...... Where is the law drawn to protect us the buyers from the sellers ?? I will state also that most of the issues that started with my car came on the third day I had the car (dealer advertised 3 day exchange program) They also advertised a thirty day warranty on ALL there cars (which they never stated as being only for the trans. Until AFTER I was stuck with major repair bills. The third day after we got the car, we called and wanted to return it,but salesman talked us in to bringing it in for them to fix, by the time we got it back, 3 days were gone..... So the idea that people have concerning these things.... 3 days etc.... are not just hearsay things but in fact have been stated by dealers. I am not denying that I was not totally informed, but I will also stated that the laws on used cars are so sketchy that unless you are a lawyer, you have no clue what ALL your rights are..... Why can it not be law enforced that dealers have to disclose to you in writing exactly what your rights are ???? Truth, if people knew how little they are protected from buying someone elses issues in a used car, they would not make the profits they make from the the resale.
Give us buyers a break..... We have lives, family, work, children, homes to take care of. We come full circle that if we buy an item, we have a time frame in which we can return said item, UNLESS it is a used car. If we know and expect sour milk to be refunded or replaced, thn why can't a 9,000 purchase have the same standards. Frankly, I'd rather bite it on a 4 dollar gallon of milk then to have to bite it on a 9,000 automobile.
This only teaches us one thing, NOONE can be trusted, not even the laws that are suppose to protect us from getting ripped off!!!

pammness said:
This only teaches us one thing, NOONE can be trusted, not even the laws that are suppose to protect us from getting ripped off!!!
What about protecting yourself from getting ripped off? You want the govt' to come to your house and test your shower water every time you shower to keep you from getting burned by the hot water?

pammness

Ummmm, No

WHy are you bringing up a hot water heater ??? You seem to be going way off base here. I gave small examples that are made known to the public (big sign in Walmart, Money back Guarantee) And was mearly asking why little items are covered for us so well, But a high dollar purchase is sketchy to us, at best.
My Case :
Fact: I bought a used car
Fact: I was sold a car for top retail price
Fact: Dealer advertised 3 day exchange program
Fact: Dealer advertised 30 day warranty on ALL there vehicles
Fact: Dealer advertised 98 point inspection
My reality..... I bought a major problem car
I bought a poor condition car for top retail
Dealer promised to fix vehicle when I called about 3 day exchange
Dealer promised to make things right with my car
Dealer promised car was gone over thourghly
Fact: I was overcharged
Fact: I am paying big bills for Big issues that were clearly there when they sold me the car
Fact: Dealer now says the 30 day warranty was only for 50% on trans. Fact: My extended warranty paid for all but 123.00 of that I paid that.
Fact: they did not pay there 50% on the part or labor which would have been well over 2,000.
Fact: The car had a rattle in rear that was not check out..... as we were told it was, now more $$$
Fact: I have had the car in shop 7 times..... All but one was through the places they sent me.
Last one I choose to do elsewhere as all 6 times they had it, problem not resolved.
Fact: The laws are ALL sketchy regarding USED vehicles.
So far we have had 2-O2 sensors replaced, transmission replaced, spark plug and wires replaced, oil and filter change. (not done by dealer prior to purchase. 98 point inspection was NOT fully done.
Still needs to bedone are as follows: struts and strut mounts to be replaced, catalitic convertor to be replaced.
Fact: the dealer sold me a car for 7995. kelly top price for car, car actually worth, also checked through kelly blue book, not to be resold for retail at more then 5,200.
Fact: to date this car has cost me for shop repairs over 700 dollars and still have out of my pocket, not covered by extended warranty, another 2,000. to 2,500. dollars
Fact: we have not driven the car long enough to have been a party to or cause of ANY of these issues (we have put less then 2000 miles on car.....
Fact: You keep avoiding any of the real questions I have asked.......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">