• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son Borrowed Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pbemko

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
My son borrowed money from a friend to buy a car. He started paying him but lost his job. The friend wants the rest of his money or will take the car. what form do we use to release him from the debt. There was not initial contract.

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
My son borrowed money from a friend to buy a car. He started paying him but lost his job. The friend wants the rest of his money or will take the car. what form do we use to release him from the debt. There was not initial contract.
he gives the car up, the friend gives back the money.

done and done.

pbemko

Just sign the title over and that's it? Shouldn't he get a release or something? Even though it was done on a handshake, are there any potential repercussions?

swalsh411

He can't just up and take the car anymore than you could steal somebody's TV that you loaned them money to buy.

Banned_Princess

thats true, the friend would have to sue your son, if he didn't want to give up the car.

if your son does want to trade the debt for the car, he could just get a simple signed notation from the friend satisfying the debt. I'm pretty sure your son gets the money back he paid for it for some reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">