• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State inspector missed MAJOR issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

XodusI

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I bought a car from an auction (first mistake) and got it inspected by a legal state inspector so I could get it tagged. Before it was inspected it was confirmed that the brake pedal went all the way to the floor before slowing down. After the inspection he said he fixed the brake issue by bleeding the brake line, and that was it. I still have the receipt. Thinking that the car was safe to drive, two days later I drove my year old daughter, and my wife and I up to DE to see my family. Half way through the trip the brakes stop working again and do the same thing that they were doing before it was fixed, putting me and my entire family in danger. I took it to a pepboys up in DE and they also said that all the wiring was crossed and spliced under the hood (done by a previous owner). Are there any legal repercussions for this state inspector for telling me my car is safe then putting my family in danger? Or did I do something wrong. I am stuck in another state and have to take time off of work for this, so any quick help would be immensely appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I bought a car from an auction (first mistake) and got it inspected by a legal state inspector so I could get it tagged. Before it was inspected it was confirmed that the brake pedal went all the way to the floor before slowing down. After the inspection he said he fixed the brake issue by bleeding the brake line, and that was it. I still have the receipt. Thinking that the car was safe to drive, two days later I drove my year old daughter, and my wife and I up to DE to see my family. Half way through the trip the brakes stop working again and do the same thing that they were doing before it was fixed, putting me and my entire family in danger. I took it to a pepboys up in DE and they also said that all the wiring was crossed and spliced under the hood (done by a previous owner). Are there any legal repercussions for this state inspector for telling me my car is safe then putting my family in danger? Or did I do something wrong. I am stuck in another state and have to take time off of work for this, so any quick help would be immensely appreciated.
The vehicle was working when it was inspected. The crossed wiring (?) has nothing to do with the braking issue. You likely have a bad master cylinder.

XodusI

The vehicle was working when it was inspected. The crossed wiring (?) has nothing to do with the braking issue. You likely have a bad master cylinder.
The car ran, but it had the same brake issue that is has now before the inspection. The guy said he fixed it, but apparently did not. Doesn't the state inspector have an obligation to make sure my vehicle is in good running condition before I drive away? Seems like all he did was fill the reservoir with fluid as a temporary fix until I left...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The car ran, but it had the same brake issue that is has now before the inspection. The guy said he fixed it, but apparently did not. Doesn't the state inspector have an obligation to make sure my vehicle is in good running condition before I drive away? Seems like all he did was fill the reservoir with fluid as a temporary fix until I left...
Read carefully.

Legally speaking, when the vehicle was inspected, it was in proper working order. You have no case against the inspector.

Practically speaking, your master cylinder is probably bad. If not, then you may have issues at the brakes themselves. Finally, you may have a leaking brake line. It really won't take a competent mechanic long to diagnose and repair the problem. (I suggest an actual independent mechanic, not Pep Boys)

BL

Your issue is with the repair / problem .

If you paid for the repair in addition to the inspection ( the brakes did work for passing inspection obviously ) , and your second repair mechanic pretty much give his/her professional opinion ( noted on the repair invoice ) that the issue was pre-existent to the inspection , you may have cause for refund of the original repair cost .

That's it .

XodusI

Yea, I've reached a few places and what you said is what I'm hearing so far. Apparently, legally speaking, if the car is safe to drive the minute it leaves his shop then it passes inspection. And since he only charged me for a band-aid type fix, that's all he's legally obliged to do. Sound about right?

I guess I just have to chalk this up into the life is unfair bin...should have done my research and been more knowledgeable. Just getting out of a major accident though I felt a bit too excited to get back to work and driving.

Right now it's only at pepboys not by choice...but because they are the only place that is open on Sundays in DE. So far I think the only way I will be able to get anything is if I get the money I paid for the original "band-aid" back. But being stern and politely demanding can go a long way sometimes...especially if you have a 1 year old backing you up :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">