• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State malpractice guaranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dadrummer

What is the name of your state? MS.
I am in the middle of med-mal suits, 2 DR's and 2 hospitals and recently received a notice that Reciprocal of America, an insurance carrier for hospitals, Doctors, and Attorneys,which is based out of South Carolina has been placed in receivership. From what I understand this means ROA is no longer capable of handling its own business thus the State of South Carolina has stepped in, in an attempt to salvage the company.
Apparently one, or possibly all, of the entity's I have filed suit against was insured through ROA. But, there was no information enclosed in the notice about what Dr. (s) or hospital(s) may be involved.

I also understand if an insurance company that is licensed in your state becomes insolvent the state has a guaranty program which would come in to play to protect the consumer.

I wasn't sure what site to post this on so hopefully someone familiar with Reciprocal of America or state guaranty programs could shed some light on this.

D

dadrummer

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear.

The questions are: Is anyone familiar with Reciprocal of America being forced into receivership or liquidation in the State of Virginia? In the first post I incorrectly stated South Carolina. If that is the case what does it mean to any person having a claim that is presently being litigated with a party that is insured with ROA? A few weeks ago I received notice of receivership and this past week I received notice of liquidation. Also, would it be possible my home state, MS, has some type of guaranty program for malpractice in place that protects consumers from insurance companies liquidations?
I do have an attorney but he is vacationing in Europe and is not expected back for 3 weeks. I realize I cannot personally phone the law firm representing the other sides and ask them what insurance companies their clients have. I'm not sure if another motion, or whatever it's called, is required to be filed to protect my interest if a liquidation is in the works. Taking it one step further if ROA is determined to be insolvent and all claims dismissed would I have the right to go after the Dr.'s or hospitals on a personal/business asset basis?
Hell, the more I think about it the more confused I become. If no one replies to this post I certainly understand why.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">