• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of limitations for medical bills- Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cfrei0227

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? currently live in California, medical services given in Michigan

I received medical care in Marquette MI on 04/2003, when I was a senior in college with no insurance. I have not heard anything about the bill until last week, or almost 6 years after the date of service. I received a bill for $1800 from a collections agency— when I contacted the hospital, they said they had tried to get a hold of me at the house I lived at in college, and my roommates had simply said I moved away, which I had. I thought that I had applied for Medicaid, but it was so long ago, I honestly cannot remember what had happened with the claim. The hospital said the bill has been in collections for the past six years, but why have I not been contacted? I live in California now, and obviously they could have found me, I am just concerned because if I had known about this bill even 4 years ago, there could have been something that I could have done about it. Since 6 years is the statue of limitations on medical bills in Michigan, what are my options? Help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

When did you leave Michigan? The SOL only applies while you are in the state, the clock stopped when you left the state.

racer72

You have a good news/bad news situation. The good news is the SOL for Calfornia has tolled and the creditor cannot sue you in California for the debt. The bad new is you can still be sued in Michigan.

cfrei0227

Thank you for your prompt response. I really appreciate your time and advice. I have a few more questions-
since I am no longer a resident of Michigan, then technically, they cannot sue me unless I am ever a MI resident again, right? The bill was only for $1800, and I find it hard to believe that this collections agency would try to come after me from 3,000 miles away....or would they?
I did not have insurance at the time of the service, and still do not have insurance, nor the funds to pay this long-forgotten bill. What do you suggest I do about it?
Thank you again for your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">