• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations for bills?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lakeseven

I'm in Arkansas, and have recently begun receiving statements from a collection service that handled a dental bill for me three years ago. It was turned over to them due to a dispute with the dentist, and I paid them in full in 4 post-dated checks. Now, three years after the procedure I receive statements saying I still owe one more payment. Can they do this?

racer72

If the debt is valid, yes, they can attempt to collect. Do you have proof the full amount was paid? Something in your advantage though is that Arkansas has a rather low statute of limitations on open accounts. If it has been more than 3 years since you last transaction with the dentist, the debt is invalid. This would probably be the day the last of your 4 post dated checks was cashed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">