• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations for Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

godaddyo2000

OHIO__I recently had a collection agency contact me in regards to a emergency room/hospital debt. I signed a treatment consent form when entering the hospital. Is this considered an open account or a written contract? What is the statute of limitations on open accounts in Ohio. I am really confused to what is considered an open account or written contract. I have been searching everywhere for reference material. thanks in advance!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

godaddyo2000 said:
OHIO__I recently had a collection agency contact me in regards to a emergency room/hospital debt. I signed a treatment consent form when entering the hospital. Is this considered an open account or a written contract? What is the statute of limitations on open accounts in Ohio. I am really confused to what is considered an open account or written contract. I have been searching everywhere for reference material. thanks in advance!!
My response:

In Ohio, it doesn't matter; however, an Open Account is typically a Credit Card account, or a Line of Credit for, say, home improvement, from a bank - - where you can go back for more money, pay monthly, go back for more money, and continue making payments, all the while the account stays "Open".

A written contract in your instance would be, typically, a single time charge for a single purpose. Yours is a "Closed Account" written contract for the sole and single purpose of your hospital stay.

The Ohio Statute of Limitations for debts is one of the worst in the nation, and extremely "creditor friendly" - - i.e., it's 15 years from the date the services accrued, or from the last date of payment.

Editorial : If it were me, I'd never enter into a contract involving Ohio. 15 years is a huge chunk of someone's life to be on the hook. In fact, I'd move.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

G

godaddyo2000

statute of limitations ohio

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
godaddyo2000 said:
My response:

In Ohio, it doesn't matter; however, an Open Account is typically a Credit Card account, or a Line of Credit for, say, home improvement, from a bank - - where you can go back for more money, pay monthly, go back for more money, and continue making payments, all the while the account stays "Open".
Thanks for your response. I was under the impression that an account with no preset amount or payments was considered open. I had no idea what they were going to charge me for or how much. I will never sign one of those forms in ohio again. Are you saying that it wouldnt matter no matter what, due to the fact that it is 15 years for all contracts? If this is the case I will move!!1 Thanks again!
A written contract in your instance would be, typically, a single time charge for a single purpose. Yours is a "Closed Account" written contract for the sole and single purpose of your hospital stay.

The Ohio Statute of Limitations for debts is one of the worst in the nation, and extremely "creditor friendly" - - i.e., it's 15 years from the date the services accrued, or from the last date of payment.

Editorial : If it were me, I'd never enter into a contract involving Ohio. 15 years is a huge chunk of someone's life to be on the hook. In fact, I'd move.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">