• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Debit Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chelle1076

What is the name of your state? TX

About 2 months ago I went to a department store and after the cashier swiped my debit card she failed to give it back to me. I left the store and didnt realize until 3 days later that I didnt have it. I called the store and spoke to the manager and she said that yes they had it but when I went to get it she said that it was gone. I called my bank to cancel the card and was told that it had been used at over 25 locations totaling almost $1200. I informed the manager that my card had been used and she said that she would call the Loss Prevention department of their store and let them know. After further investigation it was found that 2 of the store employees had stolen it. I contacted the legal department of the store and asked them how they were going to reimburse me for the lost time that I have had due to having to go to the bank multiple times and also going to the police station. I was told to submit my amount of lost time and they would cut me a check. I faxed it to them and they said that a check would be sent out the next week. After multiple calls I was told that they were only willing to pay me $200. and that they dont think I should have missed as much work as I did due to this matter. Is there anything that I can legally do to try and get my lost time from work reimbursed? Im really upset that when they found my debit card they didnt secure it in the safe and left it in a plastic backet under the cash register.

Veronica1228

chelle1076 said:
What is the name of your state? TX

About 2 months ago I went to a department store and after the cashier swiped my debit card she failed to give it back to me. I left the store and didnt realize until 3 days later that I didnt have it. I called the store and spoke to the manager and she said that yes they had it but when I went to get it she said that it was gone. I called my bank to cancel the card and was told that it had been used at over 25 locations totaling almost $1200. I informed the manager that my card had been used and she said that she would call the Loss Prevention department of their store and let them know. After further investigation it was found that 2 of the store employees had stolen it. I contacted the legal department of the store and asked them how they were going to reimburse me for the lost time that I have had due to having to go to the bank multiple times and also going to the police station. I was told to submit my amount of lost time and they would cut me a check. I faxed it to them and they said that a check would be sent out the next week. After multiple calls I was told that they were only willing to pay me $200. and that they dont think I should have missed as much work as I did due to this matter. Is there anything that I can legally do to try and get my lost time from work reimbursed? Im really upset that when they found my debit card they didnt secure it in the safe and left it in a plastic backet under the cash register.
I hope that you didn't actually lose any of the $1200 that was used fraudalently. I also hope that the police are handling the criminal charges involved in this ID theft which is a felony. Other than that, I don't know that there is much you can do. How much time and money did you actually end up losing?

chelle1076

I was able to get all of my money back but it took over 2 weeks. Between me and my boyfriend (the joint account holder) we lost about 40 hours between us having to go to the bank multiple times and going to the police station. The police now tell me that they are unable to find the 2 females that did this. One of them was a minor and the other one was an adult. All that I requested from the company was to reimburse me for the lost time and they said that they didn't feel that was their responsibilty. If they had secured my card when it was left and their employees hadn't stole it I wouldn't have missed work having to deal with this. :mad:

Veronica1228

chelle1076 said:
I was able to get all of my money back but it took over 2 weeks. Between me and my boyfriend (the joint account holder) we lost about 40 hours between us having to go to the bank multiple times and going to the police station. The police now tell me that they are unable to find the 2 females that did this. One of them was a minor and the other one was an adult. All that I requested from the company was to reimburse me for the lost time and they said that they didn't feel that was their responsibilty. If they had secured my card when it was left and their employees hadn't stole it I wouldn't have missed work having to deal with this. :mad:
Quite honestly, I don't understand why you needed so much time off of work either. I have worked with stolen credit/debit cards numerous times and all it involved is filling out a form and then having the bank do the investigations.

I really don't see how you can force the store to pay you for your time short of taking them to court. You will of course need to take additional time off of work and have to hire a lawyer. I really don't think it will end up being worth it because you don't have much of a case against the store. Only against the perpetrators.

I can totally understand your being upset about the situation at hand....but seriously 40 hrs at the bank in a 2 weeks....... Why did you two need to keep going to the bank and the police station? I would be very happy that I'm not responsible for the $1200 at all and be grateful that store is willing to compensate me $200. Technically the store doesn't have to reimburse you like that.

P.S Contact the 3 credit bureaus with a fraud alert just in case. You don't know what these two ladies have found out about you from your credit card. A little info goes a long way these days.

racer72

I seriously doubt a judge would grant you a penny for lost wages, the initial point of negligence was you forgetting to retrieve the card from the clerk. Take the $200 and consider yourself lucky you got that much, they didn't have to give you anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">