• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen keys from store.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dzis

Hello all! Two weeks ago my girlfriend took my keys into Walmart to get copies made. Seeing as how she was getting five seperate keys, the man told her to leave them all and he will page her when done. She received the page and walked back. However, they weren't there and the guy was at a loss. The manager was called and they found that after the guy paged her

Dzis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Cont. (Sorry phone is terrible.)

The manager was called and they found that after the guy paged her he left the keys on the counter and walked off. They were stolen. I woke up and came in. Talking to the manager I found that there is a loose (if none) handling policy. Now random people have my work, job, house, both parent's houses, and friend's car keys. Luckily most had spares. Now on 2 hours of sleep I had to go into work and explain. Then after a 13 hour day, call friends and family whose keys were on my ring and explain to them. Needless to say, I am not happy and am wondering what legal actions can be taken and how far.

Thank you in advance!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Cont. (Sorry phone is terrible.)

The manager was called and they found that after the guy paged her he left the keys on the counter and walked off. They were stolen. I woke up and came in. Talking to the manager I found that there is a loose (if none) handling policy. Now random people have my work, job, house, both parent's houses, and friend's car keys. Luckily most had spares. Now on 2 hours of sleep I had to go into work and explain. Then after a 13 hour day, call friends and family whose keys were on my ring and explain to them. Needless to say, I am not happy and am wondering what legal actions can be taken and how far.

Thank you in advance!
If they were keys on the counter with no other identifiying information how have you been harmed? I totally understand the frustration but I don't see that a law was broken or that you have any cause of action. Yes, you have been inconvenienced, but such is life.

Dzis

Just the fact that they were stolen while in the care of the store. Regardless if there was anything to ID me, the two could have known my girlfriend or have been following her from my car and saw an opening. It was 1 am so there weren't many cars and these people entered the same time they did. The only thing on my keys were rewards cards. I'm not sure if, through calls to the company and fancy wordplay , they could get a name. I have the police involved but they said there probably will be no luck.

Antigone*

Just the fact that they were stolen while in the care of the store. Regardless if there was anything to ID me, the two could have known my girlfriend or have been following her from my car and saw an opening. It was 1 am so there weren't many cars and these people entered the same time they did. The only thing on my keys were rewards cards. I'm not sure if, through calls to the company and fancy wordplay , they could get a name. I have the police involved but they said there probably will be no luck.
Like I said before, if you have no financial damages you have no course of action. If there is no crime committed against you, then again you have no course of action.

Yes you were inconvenienced, hopefully the store gave you the keys they owed you and hopefully they apologized for the inconvenience. Aside from that, they owe you nothing else.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What do you want to see happen?

Dzis

At least, my locks along with my families locks replaced. If a carpenter comes to your house to fix a wall and drags oil from his boots onto the floor, he should pay to have it cleaned or replaced right?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
At least, my locks along with my families locks replaced. If a carpenter comes to your house to fix a wall and drags oil from his boots onto the floor, he should pay to have it cleaned or replaced right?
That's not going to happen. As has been pointed out, without identification of the keys, there's nothing to worry about.

tranquility

I can't find it online, but the classic case Fletcher v. Bealey (28 Ch.D.698) from 1884 is still generally the law. The requirements for this type (quia timet) of action are:
There must, if no actual damage is proved, be proof of imminent danger, and there must also be proof that the apprehended damage will, if it comes, be very substantial. I should almost say it must be proved that it will be irreparable, because, if the danger is not proved to be so imminent that no one can doubt that, if the remedy is delayed the damage will be suffered, I think it must be shown that, if the damage does occur at any time, it will come in such a way and under such circumstances that it will be impossible for the plaintiff to protect himself against it if relief is denied to him in a Quia timet action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">