• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen packages from UPS Store

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abam

Hello,

I rent a mailbox at UPS Store.

I had 40 packages stolen(with total value over $7k) from my mailbox AFTER the packages have been delivered to UPS Store. When I came to pick up the packages to UPS Store the packages themselves were opened and content was stolen. The packages were kept on the basement floor, there is no video recording there, because only employee had access there and cleaning staff.

The UPS Store owner told me UPS will reimburse me the value of the packages but it will take 30-60 days for UPS to investigate.

I called police and they gave me a police report and I have all the photos of the opened packages.

30 days passed and I wasn't even given complaint#. I called UPS owner and he says there is no news yet. Should I wait or do I need a lawyer in this situation

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You should refer to your rental agreement with the UPS store for your recourse.

justalayman

since the lawyer fees are not recoverable and especially given you are in NY City, I suspect the legal fees would eat up much of what might be realized. It is not likely a practical solution.

have you called UPS (not the store but UPS. The UPS stores are not owned by UPS but individually owned by a independent party). For that matter, has a claim even been made with UPS?

abam

since the lawyer fees are not recoverable and especially given you are in NY City, I suspect the legal fees would eat up much of what might be realized. It is not likely a practical solution.

have you called UPS (not the store but UPS. The UPS stores are not owned by UPS but individually owned by a independent party). For that matter, has a claim even been made with UPS?
Thank you for your reply. Not sure why lawyer fees are not recoverable if court decides in my favor? In this case, won't UPS will be obligated to pay for my lawyer?

abam

Did you make a claim with UPS??
Also, the packages were all sent USPS, not UPS so even if I get lucky and all the sender will file claims, the claims will be filed against USPS. But USPS did their job fine, the packages WERE delivered to my mailbox and were stolen AFTER they were delivered to my UPS Store mailbox.

justalayman

Also, the packages were all sent USPS, not UPS so even if I get lucky and all the sender will file claims, the claims will be filed against USPS. But USPS did their job fine, the packages WERE delivered to my mailbox and were stolen AFTER they were delivered to my UPS Store mailbox.

then why would UPS reimburse you for anything?

from a previous post of yours:

The UPS Store owner told me UPS will reimburse me the value of the packages but it will take 30-60 days for UPS to investigate.
UPS stores are independently owned franchises.

I suspect USPS will not reimburse anybody either since they packages reached their destination and most likely, were signed for as being in non-damaged condition. UPS has nothing to do with this other than their name is on the store.

This is going to be (as has been stated before) based on your contract with the UPS store.

LdiJ

then why would UPS reimburse you for anything?

from a previous post of yours:

UPS stores are independently owned franchises.

I suspect USPS will not reimburse anybody either since they packages reached their destination and most likely, were signed for as being in non-damaged condition. UPS has nothing to do with this other than their name is on the store.

This is going to be (as has been stated before) based on your contract with the UPS store.
You didn't mean USPS right? UPS stores don't ship via the post office.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Hello,

I rent a mailbox at UPS Store.

I had 40 packages stolen(with total value over $7k) from my mailbox AFTER the packages have been delivered to UPS Store. When I came to pick up the packages to UPS Store the packages themselves were opened and content was stolen. The packages were kept on the basement floor, there is no video recording there, because only employee had access there and cleaning staff.

I called police and they gave me a police report and I have all the photos of the opened packages.

30 days passed and I wasn't even given complaint#. I called UPS owner and he says there is no news yet. Should I wait or do I need a lawyer in this situation
You didn't mean USPS right? UPS stores don't ship via the post office.
USPS delivers to UPS stores where mailboxes are located. FedEx and UPS both have contracts with USPS for USPS to do final delivery on some packages. It's supposed to be 'cheaper'. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">