• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen vehicle?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

matt65

the state in which this happened is Idaho.

i bought a motorcycle from a friend who did not have a title only a bill of sale. i went down to the transportation department and did all the required paperwork to apply for a title. i recieved the title and sold the motorcycle to another gentlemen who took the bike to a bike shop for some repairs at which point they said the motorcycle was stolen and called the police. the police ran the vin # and said the bike was not stolen, then did a "criteria" search with the last 4 digits of the vin # and came back and said the motorcycle was probably stolen so they impounded it. i was wondering what my rights and the man i sold the motorcycle to are? i did all the required steps to title the motorcycle and recieved a valid title. the police took the motorcycle before the man i sold it to could title it.can the police department keep property they cant identify with a full vin #? am i still the legal owner?can they press charges on me or the man i sold it to?help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">