• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stopped payment check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daja7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I am a contractor and did a small job for a customer for which he paid by check. The check cleared and 10 days later there was a stop payment.
He signed the contract authorizing the work before it was started and signed agreeing that the work was done properly and to his satisfaction.

When I called he said that his check book was stolen and that he stopped payment on all checks but would issue a new one right away. after three times telling me that he would send it out he stopped answering my messages. We sent a demand letter via regular and certified mail. He refused pick up of the cert. letter. It is not a very large amount but it is owed.
What can I sue for and which would be the best venue?
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">