• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stopping payment on credit card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LucyZ101

What is the name of your state? WA

Two weeks ago I had hair extensions put in my hair. They cost over $1000. The extensions have been falling out pulling my hair at the root with them. In two days I have lost 5 bonds. I am afraid I will have bald spots soon in my hair. I have called the salon 3 times explaining what has happened. The owner who did the extensions will not call me back. Do I have the right to stop payment on my credit card for unsatisfactory services? I do not know any other action I can take. I am afraid I will have to find another salon to fix them mess and it will cost me another fortune. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

C

condaggitt

wow its great to have all that money to throw down the drain on hair extentions when there are starving children in the ghetto in america,who could use your money instead.

have a nice day.

L

LucyZ101

Condaggit...I came here for advice not to be judged. You shouldn't be so quick to judge others when you don't know their full story.

racer72

The credit card company had nothing to do with your bad extensions. Your beef is with the hair salon. Pay your bill and sue the salon in small claims court for your money back.

Oh, and ignore condaggit, he is the forum idiot.

C

condaggitt

LucyZ101 said:
Condaggit...I came here for advice not to be judged. You shouldn't be so quick to judge others when you don't know their full story.
There is only ONE good reason to spend $1000 on hair extentions, that is if you are an actress/entertainer and its a tax deduction!

JETX

I disagree.
The FCBA (Fair Credit Billing Act) gives you the right to dispute charges in specific circumstances, including:
* unauthorized charges. Federal law limits your responsibility for unauthorized charges to $50;
* charges that list the wrong date or amount;
* charges for goods and services you didn't accept or weren't delivered as agreed;
* math errors;
* failure to post payments and other credits, such as returns;
* failure to send bills to your current address - provided the creditor receives your change of address, in writing, at least 20 days before the billing period ends; and
* charges for which you ask for an explanation or written proof of purchase along with a claimed error or request for clarification.

However, to use these rights you must have made an honest effort to resolve the problem with the 'merchant'. I suggest you send the salon a letter detailing your complaint and asking for either a solution or asking for a full refund. Send this by certified RRR and give them 5 days to contact you.
Then, when your credit card bill comes in, send a letter to the card issuer (address is usually on the back of the statement), again detailing the problem and your efforts to resolve it (include a copy of your letter). Ask the card issuer to do a 'charge-back' against the merchant.

Information on this process and your rights can be found at:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/fcb.htm

If this fails to work, you can then take the process of considering small claims action. In any event, I strongly suggest you document the problem by taking photographs and keeping any 'fallout'.

P

Pubpanda

stopping payment on credit card

I had a similar experience and called my credit card company and explained the problem. They placed the amount in dispute and I followed their instructions and they helped settle the problem. I would suggest calling your credit card company and talking to them.

JETX

Don't CALL them. That does NOT preserve your rights under the FCBA. Send your dispute to them in WRITING, and keep a copy for your files.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">