• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

storage - holding items against my will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michael727

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Thank you in advance for any insight.

There exists no signed paperwork or contract for the storage of our items. We were in a rush to move out so that sinkhole repair work could begin. We do have a written proposal, which has served as the basis for billing. The proposal is for 1000 square feet of climate control, but less than 300 square feet of climate control is being used while the rest of our items are being stored in the Florida heat!

A general contractor has served as an entirely unnecessary and expensive intermediary between us and the moving/storage company. I have tried to resolve this dispute fairly but both parties refuse to cooperate. I have asked the storage "what legal basis do you have to hold my items against my will?" and also made the general contractor aware that their invoice is inaccurate - but, they are ignoring me.

What should I do?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Eekamouse

If your stuff is being stored in a storage facility, there had to have been a lease signed and I am going to assume it was the general contractor who signed that lease since you say you didn't. That is who legally has a right to whatever is stored there. Doesn't matter who the stuff actually belongs to as far as the storage facility is concerned. You have to go through the general contractor or whoever signed the storage lease to get your stuff out of storage.

michael727

Thanks for the reply.

The owner of the moving/storage company told me that they only made a verbal agreement with the general contractor.

If it makes any difference, the storage company also moved our items - so, they do not doubt that it is our stuff.

Perhaps I have no other choice than to go to Small Claims Court?

Eekamouse

Sounds like it. I sincerely doubt all the storage facility has is a verbal agreement to store your belongings. Is this a large self storage company you are dealing with or some mom and pop business?

racer72

Eekamouse, posting hx. The OP didn't like the answers he/she previously received with the same question.

Eekamouse

I know. I was trying to be polite and not point out to the dude that I already told him this (although I did bold it for him).

michael727

Perhaps I made the mistake of reposting instead of replying to the old thread. I thought it would be simpler. I apologize if I have been rude. Also, thank you very much for your involvement to advise me on this problem. (it has been quite stressful!)

michael727

I will follow your advice and go there in person (to speak to the general contractor) to try to get this resolved.

Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">