• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Storage Unit Lease Agreement: Price Increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcrunner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
I have a lease agreement for a storage unit that specifies a monthly rate. It is silent on the term of the lease. It is also silent on rate increases. The owner now wants to raise the monthly rent. Does my contract lock my rent at the original amount or does it allow the owner to raise the rent anytime he wants to?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
I have a lease agreement for a storage unit that specifies a monthly rate. It is silent on the term of the lease. It is also silent on rate increases. The owner now wants to raise the monthly rent. Does my contract lock my rent at the original amount or does it allow the owner to raise the rent anytime he wants to?
With no specific term listed, yours would be a month-to-month agreement. I would argue that the owner would need to give notice of any changes, including a rate increase. I would argue that said notice should be at least a 30-day notice.

dcrunner

With no specific term listed, yours would be a month-to-month agreement. I would argue that the owner would need to give notice of any changes, including a rate increase. I would argue that said notice should be at least a 30-day notice.
They have given me 30-days notice. I spoke to them today and their position is just as you described.

Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">