• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Store merchandise credit card fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

briantt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Recently I bought a Home Depot merchandise credit card through an add on Craig's List. The card had about $350 on it. A few days later the card was deactivated by Home Depot.
I have been calling Home Depot for two weeks now to get an explanation for why they deactivated the card. Did the person that sold me the card commit a crime and is there a police report? They are very polite every time I call but they will not give me an explanation, and never return a call.
So now, do I just report this problem to the police?
Given that part of the card terms printed on the back of the card say "Store credit may be deactivated or rejected in connection with fraudulent actions.", if Home Depot still refuses to answer any questions, can I sue Home Depot for $350 in small claims court?

cyjeff

Here is what happened.

Someone maxed out a credit card with Home Depot cards... either their own card or a stolen one.

Either way, that money wasn't paid back and/or was found to be stolen.

When that happens, your card was deactivated.

Now, what did you think was going on when you paid, what, $150 for $350 worth of credit? Did you think it was legit?

Call the police if you want... be prepared to explain why you shouldn't have KNOWN you weren't buying stolen merchandise.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Recently I bought a Home Depot merchandise credit card through an add on Craig's List. The card had about $350 on it. A few days later the card was deactivated by Home Depot.
I have been calling Home Depot for two weeks now to get an explanation for why they deactivated the card. Did the person that sold me the card commit a crime and is there a police report? They are very polite every time I call but they will not give me an explanation, and never return a call.
So now, do I just report this problem to the police?
Given that part of the card terms printed on the back of the card say "Store credit may be deactivated or rejected in connection with fraudulent actions.", if Home Depot still refuses to answer any questions, can I sue Home Depot for $350 in small claims court?
Did you pay $350 for the $350 card???? Hmmm I highly doubt that you did. If is sounds too good to be true it usually is too good to be true. Yes you got scammed but not by Home Depot.

Your claim is against the scammer you made the deal with.

tranquility

A card is not a security. The OP is not in privity with the store. The OP has to deal with the person who sold him the card.

cyjeff

A card is not a security. The OP is not in privity with the store. The OP has to deal with the person who sold him the card.
Or, as I stated, call the police and have them contact the person that sold him the card.

This is a crime, after all.

BL

Didn't don't you read craigslist about scams and fraud .

Read it on thier site.

I just seen a similar ad . something like $250.00 store credit for $230.00 . :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">