• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Store scams

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SLMVB

My father in law went into a store and was looking at a projection tv that costed $5300. Im guessing the salesguy saw how excited he was and im thinking they thought he was some immigrant and got him to sign a purchase slip without telling him what it was. My father in law thought it was a credit check they were doing on him.

He only provided them with his SIN number and his driver's license. Anyways, he made it clear to the salesguy that nothing was finalized and that he wasnt decided on buying the tv. The salesguy said it was fine and that cancelling anytime would be easy and fine. When my father in law got home my fiance and his brother told him not to get it so my father in law called in the store the next day cancelling any agreement he may have made with the store. The salesguy said it was fine and we thought everything was dropped until we recieved a receipt in the mail and a call from the store saying the tv was in the store waiting to be picked up.

My father in law tried to phone the store back to speak to the salesguy he dealt with and all of a sudden there was this other guy handling the situation and the salesguy my father in law dealt with - originally could no longer deal with us. So ever since then we've been dealing with this dispute with another salesguy and everytime we ask to speak to a manager "hes never in".

Anyways me and my fiance end up going down to the store to speak to them and they were so rude. They didnt even seem like salesreps at all, they seemed like a bunch of mid twenty year olds trying to make commission. Now they have this piece of paper saying that my father in law was making a purchase and their holding that on us.

I also found out from a close source who use to work for the store that the guys who work there often run this scam on people. The guys make commission plus they get gifts for making a certain amount of sales. Although most of this information would be hard to prove in court theres now a personal reason i want to get back at these guys. They've been dicking us around since day one and making threats and who knows who else this scam has or will work on.

After me and my fiance went to see them in the store that day, they kept calling my father in law insisting that they drop the tv off that same day, probably because the problem is no longer theirs once they get the tv off their hands and into ours. The store has also threatened to raise the cost of storage if we didnt take it and said they'd no longer be responsible for any damages on the tv. This is ridiculous. The receipt they sent us in the mail didnt even have a description of the item my father in law "so called" purchased, just an invoice number and a credit for payment.

Here's where we are now
My father in law has seeked help from a lawyer already, however we feel the lawyer honestly isnt doing everything he can and we are prepared to take this to court. The store has offered a settlement that isnt even reasonable.
Their offering two options: option a - to pay $1000 cancellation fee
option b - to buy one of the parts of the system instead of the whole thing which will cost us $2000+.

We want no deal. We want all this crap to end and to know they arent doing this to other people. Most of the things i just said i know will be hard to prove but i think the situation still works in our favor. The store never gave my father in law a second copy of what he signed which will be hard to prove but my father in law also didnt put down a down payment. However, i hear a down payment isnt always necessary. My father in law's signature on paper is pretty strong and it was his fault for not reading what he was signing. I just want to know what other options we have. What should we do?

BTW, Im canadian. I believe this website is for U.S law only however i thought i'd give it a shot anyways in case anyone was familar. Any advice or even a referral would help right about now anyways.

Thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">