• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stupid mistake - verbal sublease, please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lasha

I am in Michigan -

Four years ago, my fiance (then 18 years old) leased a car for his then-girlfriend. She promised to make the payments, but she did not have sufficient credit to get the car herself. So, he leased a brand new Pontiac Bonneville. Predictable, she didn't pay. They broke up, and he took possession of his car.

But he didn't have the means to pay for that car and his own car. A friend of his offered to basically sublease the car; my fiance, being too trusting, gave the friend the car, and the friend said he would make the monthly lease payments directly to my fiance.

Well, this went well for almost two years, and the friend didn't default. But then... he did. This "Friend" moved downstate with the car, disappeared, and has not made a payment in over a year.

The police will not let my fiance file it as a stolen vehicle; they said he has to pursue it civilly. The lease is up next year. Does my fiance have any legal leg to stand on? We absolutely cannot afford an attorney... any ideas?

Thanks.

djohnson

Can he go get the car? If he has defaulted on an agreement that should have the car returned then I don't know why the police won't report it as stolen. Has he tried to contact this person? Have him send something RRR to tell him to have payment caught up or he will reposess it and if he don't then call a wrecker company. You can also file civilly. I am not an attorney but I think those would be good places to start.

B

Ben Skrewd

Who owns the title

If the car is still in your name, file a police report for theft by taking. If they refuse go to the court house and file a complaint, i.e. swear out a warrent. Someone at the Court House should be able to point you in the right direction..probable magistrate court.

PS I am no lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">