• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing builder after warranty period expired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

conradsteve

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD - Montgomery County
We moved into a newly built house in 2005.
We have just discovered that
1. All our windows were incorrectly installed/framed and they have now rotted and need to replaced.
2. The same with our garage door
3. The siding was not installed properly (no flashing or grouting at seams and nailed incorrectly)

The end result is that we have about $40,000 plus of repairs to do.

Montgomery County Consumer protection say that as the statute of limitations /warranty is 5 years, they cannot help us.

Can we sue, or take any action against the builders?

Thank you

Mass_Shyster

1. All our windows were incorrectly installed/framed and they have now rotted and need to replaced.
3. The siding was not installed properly (no flashing or grouting at seams and nailed incorrectly)

Montgomery County Consumer protection say that as the statute of limitations /warranty is 5 years, they cannot help us.

Thank you
It's possible.

It seems that Maryland recognizes the Discovery Rule in construction cases, meaning the statute of limitations doesn't start running until you discover the defect.

This is not a do-it-yourself thing. You'll need a lawyer.

MrJenkins

Thank you
why did the home inspector you hired fail to find this information out?

sandyclaus

...We have just discovered that

The end result is that we have about $40,000 plus of repairs to do....
You moved into the property in 2005 - 7 years ago.

The windows/frames and garage door did not rot overnight. It takes time for these things to happen, and over the five-year period that the warranty is supposed to cover, you should have noticed something wasn't quite right. I, too, wonder about why these issues were missed on the inspection report.

Mitigating your damages comes to mind. Perhaps it WOULDN'T have been $40k in repairs had you seen the damage sooner. And 2 years earlier, you wouldn't even be asking about how to get your repair costs covered, since they would have taken place during the warranty period.

conradsteve

Thanks for your replies.

Stevef andTranquility I will look into getting a lawyer and will mention those 2 points.

Mr Jenkins. I have in my possession two inspectors' reports, one when we bought and one a year after. Neither mention anything about the window framing or siding installation.

Sandyclause. You're right. I should have noticed it. The truth be told, it wasn't even me who noticed it now. It was a builder who was putting up a deck for me that noticed it immediately.

Again, Thanks for your replies

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">