• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SUV lease nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ron74

What is the name of your state? TN
IN july 1999, I entered into a 4 year lease for a Dodge Durango SUV. Approx. one year later I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy, kept the Dodge, did not re-affirm, and continued making the payments. In May 2003, I contacted Firstar Bank(the lease holder) to find out what I owed to fulfill my lease obligations. I was told by the operator that I owed two monthly payments for May and June and also a late payment fee. These payments and the late charge were all made. I also contacted Firstar to see how to return the vehicle, I was told to return to the vehicle to the car lot where the the lease was entered. I did, on the last day of the lease. Two weeks later, I receive a phone call at work from Firstar asking when I plan on returning the SUV. I informed the lady that it had already been turned in to the car lot, she apologised, and I thought nothing more. 5 weeks later I purchase a new truck(no lease), and am very excited, until I get another call, this time to inform me that the "repo" man will be at my home the next morning tp pickup the Dodge . I go through the same spill about returning the vehicle, she again apologises and informs me that I will not be contacted again. I am contacted again, however, to be informed that I still owe a lease payment for the month of July, August, and now September. The lease expired July 31, 2003. My lease agreement was for an initial payment at signing, and an additional 47 payments beginning Aug 21, 1999-June 21, 2003. I am also informed that I have huge late payments because the county I live in raised its taxes and therefore my monthly payment also raised. A fact, that I was never made aware of for over 2 years because they say they cannot contact me because of the previous bankruptcy. So, now what are my rights. I paid the remaining payments that Firstar originally told me was due, and also the late payment amount, I also turned the vehicle in to the dealership on-time where Firstar instructed me to. Am i responsible for paying extra payments because there is confusion between the car lot and the bank? Am I also responsible for paying payments on the vehicle while it was in the custody of the car lot. How do I get the negative reports on my credit for these charges that I feel are unjust? Please HELP!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">